Hotpoint new motor fitting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I have a hotpoint WM66 auto washer for 8 years no problems but it needs a new motor. sadly the old original style versions are now obsolete and I need to fit the new fhp type to this machine. I have heard that i may need to buy a new plug and re-wire it as the connections are different is this true? The existing plug I have is a white connector and has the word pressac on the front with 7 identical white wires attached, the kit I have looked at on various spares websites looks identical. As this is a fairly recent model would the existing plug work with the new motor or does this plug replacement rule only apply to very old hotpoint models that used the more "square" type motor plug like on the 95 series. Or are the connectors the same but the wires on the FHP new motor just arranged in a different order? thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
First off, before going into the fhp wiring, what is wrong with the original motor?

hi

Bearings on the armature has failed resulting in a loud grinding noise when the motor is on spin. Drum bearings are fine. Armature is now obsolete and would cost £40 anyway, I wonder whether these new motors are more reliable and quieter than the old GDA type?

You should have received a rewiring sheet with the FHP.
You should be able to turn the existing plug through 180 deg and plug it into the FHP motor. (A bit of force as the keyways don't line up). Remember to check which pins are used on the FHP.
Use a red marker pen to mark the top of the plug so that if it's ever taken off it's obvious where it has to go.

Sponsored Links
I have not actually bought the kit yet as I am trying to get away with doing without it,
So did hotpoint just reverse the connections on the new motors? so you mean that I could just turn the plug upside down and then force it into the new motor socket, or maybe I could sand down the plugs "one way fit" mouldings to allow it to fit into the socket more smoothly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back