Baxi Platinum 33 or Valliant Eco tec plus 837

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of replacing the old worn out combi we inherited (halsted finest gold - Don't think the wife would agree with "finest" due to money we have spent on it)

largish 4 bed house 11 rads 1 bathroom 1 shower room 3 teenage kids so washer and shower/bath seem to be on constantly.

Been recomended a Vaillant Eco tec plus 837 as v reliable and good flow rate. However also been recomended Baxi Platinum 33 which has a 5 year warranty.

The question is will the Vaillent give me better performance and is the baxi up to the job for the size of house.

Any other reasons for chosing one above the other.

thanks

Sponsored Links
The Vaillant is a better engineered boiler than the Poxi Batterton.

If you want a better flow rate also look at the Worcester Highflow 440, wait for their proposed 550, or the ecoTEC937 Vaillant. We have been having a few teething problems with the 937, nothing major. No probs so far with the Worcester 440.

Some Vaillant installers have access to a 5yr warranty deal, but bear in mind a long warranty does not imply a quality product in every case.

The Platinum is exaclty the same as the Duo-tec, but with an extra 3 year warranty costed in.

They seem an all right boiler, but the quailty, I feel after attending a Baxi training day last week, is not up to that of the 837.

Ill 2nd the Worcester Bosch
surprises.smileysmiley.com.54.gif

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps. Have decided to go with the Vaillent 837.

Just had a quote.
Supply and install
Flush system and inhibitor
24hr programmer
New room stat
and
Replace 3 faulty thermostatic rad valves

£2,200

Does this seem reasonable

It would be wrong for anybody to comment on a quote as we aint seen the job... they are ALL individual !!

I absolutely agree with Gasman. How can we possibly comment when we haven't been invited round?

One thing to bear in mind is specification.

3x Honeywell VT200 TRVs = £45.00 plus VAT Trade
3x Wickes/B&Q TRVs = £12.50 plus VAT

Just an example, and what a difference in cost - and reliability. Ask which you are getting.

My mistake thought this was a forum for honest open advice

Appears to be a lot of vested interests
and people touting for business

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

My mistake thought this was a forum for honest open advice

Appears to be a lot of vested interests
and people touting for business

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

No need to have that attitude,, we are ghonest by saying what we said ,, how could it be honest to comment on someones quote when we aint seen it or whats involved :rolleyes:

I'll stick my neck out and say that if it is + VAT I think it is reasonable, in fact slightly cheap.

It sounds as if you are saying it is a straight combi for combi quote?

Don't forget the 837 will need a larger gas supply pipe size.

In terms of performance, I don't think you will notice any difference between the two.

Vaillant have better build quality IMHO, but the Baxi has an extra 3years warranty.

Unfortunately only you as a customer can decide what you think is best for you.

BTW, I have NO vested interest in any of this :eek:

Appologies chaps

Reply was a little OTT

As I said esrlier house full of teanage girls driving me mad at the moment

I think a drink is in order

Thanks for the help

thought i would tell you about what i did last week because it is identical to you - almost. i am not a plumber by the way.

i bought the Val 837 myself and paid £1040 inc VAT - good price.
Me and the plumber fitted it last week, but we did a lot more than a straight swap. the boiler had to go up a floor into the loft plus we changed a rad and connected another up with a drop.

we power flushed the system. it took us 3 1/2 days to do and cost £2000 (inc cost of boiler). the plumber was great and i got a great price from him.

i would say your price is very good too, but get decent thermostats (look on ebay) and pay £15 odd for one.

the gas is on 22mm and it was very close to have it being uprated to 28mm supply, but it just passed.

i am happy with boiler

ps. get a magnaclean fitted. i bought one on ebay for £63 and it will really help prolong the life of the boiler. have a look what people on this board say about them. i bought one after reading everyones comments here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back