Cracks in plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently I've noticed some cracks in our plaster. See pics.

Are these just cosmetic cracks or can it be something more serious (ie. subsidence)?

We had the house rewired a couple of months ago and there was a lot of bashing but these cracks have appeared a few weeks later so I don't think this is the cause.

this is a 1930s house we bought 4 months ago. Surveyord did not pick up subsidence issues at the time but I've heard horror stories of things like these not picked up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

100_9518.jpg

100_9517.jpg

100_9516.jpg

Sponsored Links
Has it been recently skimmed (maybe just before it got sold ....?) - if so i guess this could be hiding nasties underneath ?

We've just bought a house and cracks are also appearing !

I'm with Steve. Tap along and around the cracked areas to hear if they sound hollow underneath.

Roughcaster.

It's impossible to tell, as the photos don't give any real context as to where the cracks actually are.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

They are mostly near corners towards the ceiling. None have appeared at the bottom of the walls. Every wall has been chased in two months ago due to rewire.

Some do run diagonally which is what is worrying me. In places the plaster sounds hollow when tapped.

Similar cracks are on the plaster on the 1st floor as well. Again most of these walls have been chased.

Hi, I'm not a plasterer but have owned an older house for a few years. I'd be suspicious of the 'hollow' sound - i think this normally means the base plaster is 'blown' and coming off the walls

Our current house has exactly this issue in many places - am guessing we should strip all the plaster back to brick and start again. But too much expense and too much time

So actually we are going to leave it - and decorate very gently ! and not knock any nails into the walls (drill holes and use screw in fittings!)

Be careful if you do start investigating the cracks as its easy to start chipping away at bits, and you just keep chipping until you get to the brick anyway ! Been there - done that !

Of course it may not be that at all :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If there are any ways to fix it without replastering i'd be very interested to hear it .... ;)

Hi,

They are mostly near corners towards the ceiling. None have appeared at the bottom of the walls. Every wall has been chased in two months ago due to rewire.

Some do run diagonally which is what is worrying me. In places the plaster sounds hollow when tapped.

Similar cracks are on the plaster on the 1st floor as well. Again most of these walls have been chased.
Age of house? Where in house?

Diagonals can be indicative of movement at foundation level, but there are other possible factors as well: could just be that the plaster was on its last legs and the chasing out elsewhere for the wiring and general banging and crashing has dislodged it sufficient for it to come loose. Use a pencil to mark the end of a few of the cracks and put the date on it, then check periodically. If they extend, then consider if it's worth getting someone in to have a look for you.

Hi,

Age of house? Where in house?

Diagonals can be indicative of movement at foundation level, but there are other possible factors as well: could just be that the plaster was on its last legs and the chasing out elsewhere for the wiring and general banging and crashing has dislodged it sufficient for it to come loose. Use a pencil to mark the end of a few of the cracks and put the date on it, then check periodically. If they extend, then consider if it's worth getting someone in to have a look for you.

1930s

most walls where two walls join together. Mostly happens in top half of wall including internal load bearing wall.

Crack smaller than 1mm.

Sparks did not use angle grinder but hammer and bolster....

Plasterer sorted out chases. Could it be the new bonding pulling the old bonding?
Plaster is hollow near cracks, not hollow away from cracks

I wouldn't have thought that they're following the line of the chases, looking at some of the positions. Is it old plaster that's been skimmed over?

Whatever, it's minor at the mo, mark and keep a weather eye on them would be my advice at this point in time.

Our current house has exactly this issue in many places - am guessing we should strip all the plaster back to brick and start again. But too much expense and too much time
Be very careful with that one if you remove internal plaster to the extent there is less than 25% of the original remaining! If your LABC find out, you will have to upgrade the whole property to current regulations for thermal insulation (Part L) which, in most cases, will not be possible with a new float & skim alone; you will then have to install additional insulation to meet BR’s! :cry:

It would take an extremely banal, overzealous, pedantic, insufferable, prescriptive, anally-retentive, up-his-own-arrse, tósser (feel free to add some more adjectives :LOL: ) of a BCO to impose that one.

And, of course, such creatures do exist...

Be very careful with that one if you remove internal plaster to the extent there is less than 25% of the original remaining! If your LABC find out, you will have to upgrade the whole property to current regulations for thermal insulation (Part L) which, in most cases, will not be possible with a new float & skim alone; you will then have to install additional insulation to meet BR’s! :cry:

yikes !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back