Plumber not CORGI registered....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope you might be able to help.

We've been getting some quotes for a replacement boiler (can't decide between a combi and conventional so have been getting quotes for both).

We've got 3 quotes - two of whom are from CORGI registered plumbers. The third plumbed in our bathroom last year. He did an excellent job and we're keen to use him again.

Now he's given us a quote on a replacement boiler as he does fit boilers on a pretty regular basis. However, he's not CORGI registered (but registered for fitting oil heating types as most of his customers are oil based). He does get someone else to come in and register the boiler for CORGI purposes and give us all the paperwork (then tend to do a double act and sign off each others).

Is this allowed and does it sound legit or should be looking at one of the two plumbers who are CORGI registered?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same situation as you. I knew an excellent plumber who wasn't CORGI registered.
When I needed a new boiler, I got him to fit a new boiler and do all of the non-gas pipework for the boiler.
His CORGI registered friend then came and connected the gas, as well as testing and commissioning the system.
If you have found a good plumber, I would stick with him. If he's experienced with oil boilers, its a safe bet to say that he know what he's doing.
I now expect to get shot down in flames by all of the CORGI guys on this site.

I thought this might raise an interesting discussion!

I want to make sure that we have the paperwork sorted (especially for HIP's) to say that it was fitted by someone CORGI registered.

However, the plumber is the cheapest of the three and is the only one of the three who will let us by the parts separately (which will cut down on costs if I buy online).

Mmmm...

Sponsored Links
If your plumber is going to get the boiler commissioned by a CORGI registered engineer, then you will get all of the certification you will need for HIPs etc.

If that's the case, why would I need to go with a CORGI registered plumber to fit?

However, the plumber is the cheapest of the three

Thats because the others are working legally and have to pay all the costs which come with it. :rolleyes:

I want to make sure that we have the paperwork sorted (especially for HIP's) to say that it was fitted by someone CORGI registered.

in which case it has to be installed and commisioning by an Registered Gas Installer.

its a common misconception that all plumbers are gas engineers, they are not.
some plumbers are gas engineers.
I have the highest respect for for plumbers, but not for anyone unregistered who installs a gas appliance.

as for hips, benchmark, local borough council, and guarantee, all become invalid.

Im a RGI and fit customers bought gear but I make it clear I wont guarantee the parts as I didnt supply them!!

Look @ this logically,, this plumber has not payed out what RGI's have to do this type of work so why should he benefit from the work,??

What he is doing is not legal at the end of the day and even if he is an oil engineer he dont know Gas appliances which work very differently !!

I personally charge £700 to fit a customers boiler plus parts and thats all certs included so we are out there AND legal ;)

Also who you gonna call if there is a problem after??
The gas guy or the plumber ??

Wouldnt you rather have just 1 man to answer to ;)

A point worth mentioning.

The law says that you must be Registered to install a gas appliance, not it's ok to fit the boiler and get a guy in to do the gas.

Article in this month's GI ,page 29, about this very thing.

Guy in Norfolk claimed to be an RGI and wasn't but got the work signed off by his mate who was.

Corgi went after the two of them but the RGI ended up the worst off because he was deemed responsible for all the defects on the job he 'commissioned and notified' and he is also now 'having structured inspections' with his local Corgi inspector.

Article in this month's GI ,page 29, about this very thing.

Guy in Norfolk claimed to be an RGI and wasn't but got the work signed off by his mate who was.

Corgi went after the two of them but the RGI ended up the worst off because he was deemed responsible for all the defects on the job he 'commissioned and notified' and he is also now 'having structured inspections' with his local Corgi inspector.
Ouch but you touch fire ya get burnt :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back