Cutting curves in ceramic floor tiles

lol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took on what I thought would be the simple job of laying ceramic floor tiles in our small bathroom however having bout a tile saw and planning on using this to cut around the shape for the toilet etc, I came across a few small problems !!
the saw that I have appears to saw through the tile at a rate of about 1mm an hour !! is there a better saw that will cut through reasonably thick floor tile ? or is there a better way to cut a curve that I don't know about ?
I see that there is a posting from someone else asking a similar question and the advice was to take out the toilet - just to be clear please don't advise me to take out the toilet, I wouldnt have a clue where to start or how to put it back for that matter - there has to be an alternative !!!!

Sponsored Links
The Plasplug electric tile cutters are good for awkward shapes but you need a steady hand - you can remove a bit at a time - almost like grinding or shaving bits off. Beware though - they are messy!!

can you recommende where to buy them from/typical rrp ? just so I know what exactly I am looking for ?

Try tooled-up.com

They are geared up for straight cuts but using the wheel you can make freehand cuts and almost "carve" a tile - it is tricky though.

Actually - what might be easier is one of these craft tools with a tile attachment - a Dremel (or Rotozip?)

Sponsored Links
Easiest way is to mark out your cut then using one of the electric cutters cut parallel cuts 10mm apart accross the area to be removed, then give each one a small tap and they will break off. Then use a pair of tile nippers to refine the curve.

As you were making such little progress with the tile saw I suspect that the tiles are porcelain and not ceramic, a roto zip type tool would not be upto cutting these.

You can pick up a small electric cutter from one of the sheds from £30.00.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back