cool/cold bottom of radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the living room radiator which was cold at the bottom and warm at the top. After taking it off, draining and flushing it, taking it up to the car jet wash, blasted every hole (getting my full £3's worth!!)came home and re-fitted it - no result!!!

Bought replacement because I assumed still blocked. Had to adjust all the pipe work because of difference if size from metric to imperial. Filled system back up, bled rads, no joy. Now ****ed off and potless. Any idea please?

Sponsored Links
if we talk about bleeding rads please? the 2 rads closest to the boiler are HOT! upstairs-nothing COLD!! i opened the little bleeder valve-no air-no water-no nothing. anyone with any ideas on this freezing Sunday? Thanx, Fred

well if nothing came out when you bled it, and you got your moneys worth from the jet wash, the pipe to it MUST be blocked (assuming the valves work) read the whole of this thread, someone else had the same problem

Sponsored Links
The fact that other radiators are hot implies strongly that the system needs balancing. Generally, radiators are connected in parallel. To make sure that every radiator gets its fair share of the hot water, it is necessary to restrict the flow through those radiators nearest to the boiler. There are generally two valves on each radiator. One has a hand adjustment and is used to shut the radiator off. The other is used to balance the system. You can do this by going to the hottest radiators and completely closing the balance valve. Then open it by approx. 1/4 turn at a time at about 5-minute intervals until the outlet pipe is nearly as hot as the inlet pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back