radiators cool at bottom half

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several radiators are cool or cold at the bottom half. I have bled them all but no steam came out.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
When you say steam did you mean air ? :confused: The boys will need more info about what type of system you have.

Cold at the bottom half of radiator indicate sludges build up,not sure if I'm reading your post correctly.

Yes, I did mean air, not steam.
We have a gas boiler which heats a tank, which in turn pumps the hot water to the radiators. Nothing unusual there. Some rads. are over 20 years old, some 10 years, two are recent. We have only noticed the problem since the installation of the most recent one, although that's not giving us a problem.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like sludge, and at that age there could be a lot!!!!

If you want to do it yourself, wait till summer and take the radiators off the wall, take them outside and use a hose in both directions to wash them through. Then you need to clean the pipes out as well.

If you want someone else to do it, have it powerflushed, could be expensive with that amount of slugde, and you may find some things leak afterwards. Not the tradesman's fault, but caused by lack of maintenance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back