Oil Leaking From Service Head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just noticed that I have an oil leak from my service head (see attached picture). I'll call my DNO to get this seen to but is it something that needs urgent attention? And why is the service head filled with oil anyway?

Sponsored Links
pitch used to be poured into those, I suppose because it insulated the ends and kept moisture out.

It has probably been overheating if it is dribbling tar.

Not very unusual.

They will put a new head on it, if you are lucky they will provide a new suppliers earth as well, so put a 16mm G&Y earth wire ready for them to connect

Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow. So I run the 16mm earth wire from the main earthing block on the meter board and leave it for them to make the connection? There is already an earth connection from the meter board block to a point just upstream of the service head (can be seen in the pic on the centre right)-it clamps into the service cable. Can't they re-use this?

Sponsored Links
It appears to be 16.0mm², so should be OK (but it is difficult to size cables from photos)

I just had the new service head fitted today by EDF, pic attached. I asked them if they could fit me an isolator while they were doing it, and received the reply, 'no mate, we're just jointers, not electricians'. Just curious as to what level of electrical knowledge you need to have (or not have) to do this work?
However job seems to have been done competently and they fitted a new earth strap-does it all look OK?
GALLERY]

No, they just isolated the house, in and out in about 30 minutes.
Said they've been doing these service heads for the last 5 years and that's about all they do. So they're obviously used to waving live cables around (is that why they work in two's?). Apparently mine was last changed in 1970; they still have the paper records somewhere, which quite impressed me-can you imagine asking your bank for a statement from 1970?

My wife timed our service head change at 18mins :eek: :eek:

She was well impressed, but forgot to take any pics. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back