Cooker hood install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i want to install a cooker hood in my kitchen, my intention is to install a switched fused spur coming off the ring main - which i will have to connect into above the kitchen ceiling (presumably via junction box - adhering to appropriate access via upstairs floorboards and labelling of junction box locations etc) and running the cable from there down stairs through two chases in the wall (one vertical going to switched spur from ring main, the other being fed from switched spur and running horizontally to an unswitched socket which will be mounted behind cooker hood - cable runs adhering to safe zones). Does this sound feasible/safe - i take it that it is also notifiable ? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sounds feasible. Do not hide a socket behind the cooker hood. Just use a 5A junction box to join the cable from the fan to the cable from the FCU. There is a fuse in the FCU that you can get at, you wont be able to access the socket if the fuse goes in the plug behind the cooker hood.

Whether its safe or not will depend on your level of competence. ;)
All electrical work in a kitchen is notifiable.

Or if you really want to hide a socket, use a 5 amp unfused one - no point though really! What sort of tech are ya chap?

cheers guys. unfortunately, i have already sunk a back box into the wall for the unswitched socket - obvioulsy nothing connected up/live at the mo. instead of junction box could i use appropriately rated con-block inside back box and cut hole/grommet in blank plate ?

As you can see am not a sparky - deal with Audio Visual/IT kit that starts at the the plug socket ;)

Sponsored Links
If you decide to DIY it then the LABC will want to see your wiring before you plaster over it. Note that there will be a charge from them. Call them up and find out how much it will be.
Then get quotes from registered sparks
You can then decide which way to go - DIY or have a spark do it who can notifiy the works as part of his service to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back