wiring a plug!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friends son fused the power to the science class today.
Apparently the room has various benches with sockets on.

The teacher gave out 13 a plugs and a short bit of flex.
Told them to fit the plug, but NOT to plug it.
Obviously he and his mates plugged it in, tripping the mcb or whatever.
He said the end was smoking first, maybe L to N as I would have hoped it was on an RCD.

He then got a rollicking for not listening to the teacher.

I personally think the teacher was wrong to let them risk it with the other end bare in the first place or at least took the fuses out of the plugtops or fitted already blown fuses.

Sponsored Links
All the science labs at my old school were RCD protected. Even those built back in the 60's.

Sponsored Links
WTF are they wiring 13A plugs for in a Science class, much better to be making Tesla coils, using a vander graaf generator and the wimshurst machine.

And I suppose it's too dangerous to use a magnet, a 9V battery and a dish of mercury to make an electric motor!

My friends son fused the power to the science class today.
Apparently the room has various benches with sockets on.

The teacher gave out 13 a plugs and a short bit of flex.
Told them to fit the plug, but NOT to plug it.
Obviously he and his mates plugged it in, tripping the mcb or whatever.
He said the end was smoking first, maybe L to N as I would have hoped it was on an RCD.

He then got a rollicking for not listening to the teacher.

I personally think the teacher was wrong to let them risk it with the other end bare in the first place or at least took the fuses out of the plugtops or fitted already blown fuses.

This would have me writing a letter of complaint to the headmaster, talk about an accident waiting to happen, it is so obvious that given a class of schoolkids at least one of them is going to plug it in! :eek:

What next? handing out loaded guns and telling them not to point them at each other? :LOL:

I remember doing the same in science class bvack in school a few years back, crap tools and 4" of flex means if you are not carful you end up just dragging the conductors out the end when you go to strip them...

Anyhow, ours was in a theory only room that had normal desks, not a lab with sockets on the benches, however I think this was more coincidence than anything else

I think at somepoint in time someone else in another class manage to create a short on the workbench by opening the shutters on the sockets and pushing some leads with banana plugs into them...

Bench outlets were through an isolating transformer, perhaps its just as well, less risk of shock, and PFC lowered!

At college we used to take the fuses out of silly scopes and power supply's and fill them with the 'lead' from pencils. Then wait for the next class to turn all the kit on. :)

Did a job in a school a while back and all the Lab bench sockets where protected by a 10mA RCD

Bet there wasn't anything to stop you turning the gas taps on and lighting what comes out though :LOL: :LOL: :oops:

My chemistry teacher used to do that when warming up a test tube and couldn't be bothered to connect up a bunsen burner. :eek:

Recently quoted for a rewire of 10 science labs where an 'incident' had occoured, what kind, I did not ask.

Quoted to replace existing DB in the prep room (what wonderfull, mystical places they are) and run new submains to a new DB in each lab.

10mA RCD looks like the new spec for schools, I can imagine that being a right PITA when leaky equipment gets plugged in!

As for the plug wiring incident, why not give the kids a plug with a non-standard earth pin to wire up, that'll slow them down!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back