plug fuse holder melted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

A friend has a portable oil filled radiator. The other day it removable fuse holder on the moulded plug melted. It left a slight char mark on the two gang socket.

He asked me if I could fit a new plug but I told him that I wanted to get feedback from you guys first.

He can't recall how long the radiator had been running for.

I appreciate that a 13 amp fuse will allow a peak of about 20 amps. I have seen that kind of thing happen with extension leads that have been overloaded. Should I be working on the assumption that the rad is faulty, hence drawing too much current, or should it be sufficient to simply replace the plug.

Sponsored Links
Probably poor contacts on the fuseholder or even a poor internal connection on the moulded plug. Just replace it with a good quality plug.

Sponsored Links
It left a slight char mark on the two gang socket.

This could indicate that heat from the overheating fuse ( holder ) has penetrated along the pin and into the socket. This can result in softening of the spring contacts in the socket leading to a poor contact and more heating. It may be sensible to replace the socket.

Suggest to your friend that if the socket is not changed then he keeps an eye on the socket for further heating / discolouration

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back