DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Gas meter connected to lead pipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim_s_uk

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote

My gas meter is currently connected up with lead pipes on both sides. Can I get my gas supplier to replace the pipe before the meter? If so, is it better to arrange this before or after having the pipes on the other side replaced (or could I get the same engineer to do both sides)?

The lead pipe goes up into the ceiling, where it is soldered into 22mm copper pipe and run beneath the floorboards.

Also, I had heard that the meters should not be this close together. I could ask for the meter to be moved up or to the right when the pipes are replaced. What are the regulations in this area?

Thanks.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
tonybhoy

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote

150MM away is what the regs say.

You'll have a job getting them to replace the lead pipe on their side though unless you have a faulty governor icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
gas4you

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote

What a mess, but unfortunately unless it is in the communal area of a multiple dwelling legal, although I do wonder about the length of lead from the ECV to the meter.

It doesn't look as though a decent RGI has been near this for ages, no labels, emergency number, on/off etc. What govenor is that on it? Can't tell from the pic.

My advice would be to have the meter relocated below all the electrics, next to the ECV and to have your gas pipe re-piped all in copper.

The gas transporter could then fit a new govenor with a proper anaconda.
 Alert Moderators
tim_s_uk

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The govenor has "EVERED" written on it. You can click on the photos for a larger image.

It looks expensive to have the meter moved by the gas transporter (I assume an RGI can't do this).
I was wondering if I could convince them that the lead pipe was unsafe and needed replacing. At this point the meter could be 'repositioned' slightly.
I'll try writing to them.
 Alert Moderators
gas4you

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote

In this case your local RGI would take this on, then get the gas transporter to replace the govenor or at least the anaconda.

It would not be more than 1/2 days work at maximum.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: