VAILANT Boiler Model and Leak Questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a VAILANT boiler which seems to have sprung a leak (1 week after redecorating the kitchen!!). Anyway, I am not 100% sure of the boiler model, (no manual left by previous owner) though it is a Vailant and is a conventional flue vented type. It must be AT LEAST 6 years old.

1. I would be grateful if anyone could identify the model as I can find nothing on the boiler which does this. A Picture of the inside of the boiler is here..

Below the shown part of the boiler in the picture there is a beige/brown plate that has a BAR pressure dial on the right hand side and an On/OFF switch and heat(?) dial on the left. It is wall mounted.

2. I have opened up the immediately accessible parts of the boiler and traced the leak up to what I think it the Heat Exchanger, though I am not 100% and would welcome any input here. The red circle shows the point to which I can trace the water back...

I guess (if it is the heat exchanger) this is one of the most expensive parts to replace... I am wondering (if the boiler is 10-15 years old?) if this is going to be the start of an ongoing number of problems? (who knows) but if so then is it worth looking at a replacement now (also I assume the efficiency on these older boilers is not so great)?

Any help welcome.

Sponsored Links
I cannot remember the model number but I think its about 11 years old and might be a heat only boiler.

It certainly looks as if its the main HE which is leaking.

There are a few of these boilers being taken out so some used parts are sometimes available.

A new HE is probably about £140 or so. take about 1.2 hours to change.

Its about 80% efficient which is not too bad. A replacement might be about 15% more efficient but cost about £2000 installed.

The task of replacing the HE should be carried out by a competent CORGI engineer.

Tony

God knows what the particular variant is but its one of the battleships...is it the vuw range?, grey fascia panel, two hinged access doors etc.

Sponsored Links
Looks like the combi compact or thermo compact last made circa 1995 original 1985/87 reliable boiler parts still available

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help on this. I had another look around the boiler the other day and found ID badge.

The model is Vailant Thermo Compact... VC GB 242EH.

Going by what Agile says about the boiler it sounds like the way to go would be just to get an engineer into replace the Heat Exchanger.

Thanks for you help,

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back