Conservatory Heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm building a conservatory, which will be south facing and in full sun for most of the day. I will of course have good blinds to keep out the worst of the sun. I was thinking of fitting an air conditioning unit to help keep things cool, does anyone know if this is a good idea and will it be worth doing.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it’s South facing & not too late, make sure your cons. has at least 2 sets of French doors in opposing or adjacent sides! Ours faces south, we don’t have blinds but have doors in all 3 sides & when it gets hot we just swing at least 2 of them open. It keeps the heat down nicely & we rarely use the ceiling fan; the remote sensor’s gone up the bucket anyway! I would also advise either an opaque or foil insert roof as thick as you can get; I’ve got 40mm but I believe you can get 50mm now.

An air con unit is a good idea but, depending on the size of your cons, it will cost you a fortune to run; it does have the advantage that you can use it as a heat pump in winter though & next time I would go for one rather than the u/floor heating system weve got. Go for a proper built in unit rather than a small portable which is unlikely to cope; more expensive though & unless you’re a Part P spark, it will have to be professionally installed.

I use an "evaporative cooler" which seems to do an excellent job with the windows open. It only uses about 70 watts and costs about £50. I don't even use blinds and the temperature can reach 45 degrees on a sunny day and the evaporative cooler really works at these temperature especially if you can feed it cold water and/or blocks of ice.

Don't be mistaken into thinking it will reduce the temperature to low 20's though on a sunny day.

(oh and I have a glass roof !)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back