Cooker hood wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's probably been asked a million times before, but it's early on a Sunday and I don't have time to trawl the forum for answers!

I have a fused switch in the middle of my kitchen ring which will serve the cooker hood. 2.5mm² goes in and out of the switch, but what size cable can go to the cooker hood.

Can I use a 1.0mm² spur (because it fits through the conduit easier!) or do I have to future-proof the installation and force another 2.5mm² strand through?

I hope somebody else is up-and-about this morning, as I could do with an answer before lunch!!

Many thanks, and a good weekend to all!

Sponsored Links
It depends on the rating of the motor in the hood, but I doubt if you will need more than 1mm cable( did it not arrive with a flex cable attached?). When you say 2.5mm in & out I presume you mean they supply the fused spur, not that it is being used for some other appliance, as you will probably need to fuse it down to 3A.

Thanks for your early answer.

Yes, the in-and-out is from the ring (see pic below).

kitchen-wiring.PNG

We haven't got the extractor hood yet, but the one we have in mind is a MFI ABA2344. Don't know the rating, and presume it comes with a plug which we might cut off and join to the spur with a junction box.

Or should we fit a 13A socket to the spur, hidden inside the top of the chimney (we'll be venting through the wall behind)?

Sponsored Links
Providing you fit either a 3A or 5A fuse in the FCU then it will be fine to use 1.0mm² between the FCU and the hood.

I don't think I've ever seen a domestic cooker hood which requires more than a 3A supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back