switches for el. oven & ceramic hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installation via modern split circuit Consumer Unit.

1. Moffat (Electrolux) fan assisted Oven (Total Rating 2,075 W) needs a double pole 13A min, & min gap 3mm between the switch contacts.

I have an oldish "Metal Clad Double Pole Switch 13A with red neon light", how can I find if the gap is 3mm or not?

2. Moffat (Electrolux) Ceramic Hob 5.8KW needs D.Pole switch with 3mm gap, but no Tech. data provided in handbook except that the cable must be H0BB-F Tmax 90 deg.C or higher.

So what amperage must the switch be?.

It will came off a 30A CB & RCR of the consumer unit.

Thankx nick

Sponsored Links
Yes, your existing switch will be OK for the oven, though that type are usually rated at 20 amps. For the hob you need any standard 45 amp cooker switch wired with 6mm twin & earth cable. All cooker switches on sale in UK will be double pole and have the required contact gap.

Thanx,
there is a Cooker Connection Unit (with slanting face & cable exit at the bottom), low below cooker/hob position, with 6mm cable coming from its own 32A MCB, will it need a DPole switch too, or just join the ceramic hob direct to the C.C.Unit.
nick

You are not allowed to join the hob direct to the consumer unit as the regs stipulate double pole switching and the mcb only switches the live. As I said, you need a 45 amp cooker switch. I would have thought if you already have a cooker outlet in place there would be a switch for it somewhere. These switches sometimes get hidden in cupboards.

Sponsored Links
There was hidden a 50A switch after all.

From its position it would be more convenient for the 6mm cable out of the 32A MCR to go direct to this switch & avoid extra wiring.

I hope this will be in order. nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back