Replacing ceramic hob with induction hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to replace my cracked ceramic hob with an induction hob and wondered if there could be any issues with power.

The ceramic hob shows
Voltage: 230V 50Hz
Supply connection: 30A (double pole switched fused outlet with 3mm contact gap)
Max Rated Inputs: 5.80kW
Mains Supply lead: 3 core x 6mm

The induction hob shows
Voltage: 230V
Current: 29
Max Power W: 6.6kW
Electrical cable: 3 x 2.5mm2

Is there going to be a problem (i.e. is this going to cost me loadsa money to get installed?) or is it going to merely be a case of switching them over?

Sorry, I'm clueless, I know! ;o)

Sponsored Links
Assuming your ceramic hob is connected with the correct cable (6mm), you'll be fine just swapping it.

I personally wouldn't trust the new hob on the 2.5mm cable it suggests and would rather use 6mm anyway.

That seems like an awfully big load for a 2.5mm² cable.

Do the instructions say what rating the fuse/MCB should be?

Sponsored Links
Hi. Thanks for your quick responses!

It's a Baumatic BF23SS. This is a domestic appliance (says for domestic use only in the instructions) so I'm not sure why they would be stating installation for 3 phase power?

The fuse on the board for my current Hob says 45A - which a friend has just told me should probably be 32A. Is this correct? I don't usually use all the plates, usually two max.

Cheers,
Rollergirl007

Hobs designed for Europe often have a twin feed so can be used with split phase supply. So two 2.5mm cables would be OK however in UK with single phase we would use a single 6mm cable.

The size of cable is determining by size of supply, But for a 45A MCB one can still use 6mm high temp flex. Although not 6mm twin and earth buried in the wall so it could well be wrong but unless the manufactures of the hob states the overload size then not any problem with what you are fitting.

It's a Baumatic BF23SS. This is a domestic appliance (says for domestic use only in the instructions) so I'm not sure why they would be stating installation for 3 phase power?
In some countries 3-phase would be used for high-current domestic appliances:

t229843.jpg

The fuse on the board for my current Hob says 45A - which a friend has just told me should probably be 32A. Is this correct? I don't usually use all the plates, usually two max.
It should be 32A, and I certainly wouldn't use 2.5mm² cable on a 45A one. If the 6mm² will fit, use that.

Hobs designed for Europe often have a twin feed so can be used with split phase supply. So two 2.5mm cables would be OK however in UK with single phase we would use a single 6mm cable.
Not what the installation instructions say...

The size of cable is determining by size of supply, But for a 45A MCB one can still use 6mm high temp flex. Although not 6mm twin and earth buried in the wall so it could well be wrong but unless the manufactures of the hob states the overload size then not any problem with what you are fitting.
They do say to only use H05RR-F.

...however in UK with single phase we would use a single 6mm cable.

So does this mean that I should just be able to reuse the 6mm cable that the ceramic hob worked on?

Possibly not - I assume it's twin & earth, not flex?

The hob terminals will probably not be designed to take cable of that size and type. The manufacturer, sadly, hasn't done as good a job as he could - H05RR-F cable is only rated to 60°, and at that temperature 2.5mm² will only carry 23A. It wouldn't have been beyond them to fit terminals which could take larger cable.

OK - diversity means that the hob is treated as a 16A load (ooh - what a coincidence for a continental Europe product :LOL: ), which is fine for 2.5mm², but the 45A breaker is less fine. Probably OK for fault protection, but that's just an educated guess.

IMO the best thing to do would be to replace the breaker with a 32A one, get 4 or 6mm² H05RR-F and crimp eyelet terminals to it so that it can be easily fitted to the cooker. You'll probably need an electrician to do those jobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back