roofing felt/external bay window covering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to replace the roofing material that covers the front bay at my home.

The roof is flat with a drainage hole leading directly into the guttering/pipework.

Thre previous roofing material was split, falling away and looked unsightly (it looked like gravel/pebble dashed tar stuff that was on there)

with some heavy persusion from the missus i was kindly requested to remove the old roofing material and then re-roof it. To do this, i took a blade, scraper and brut force and removed the entire covering, this looked like a good 5-10mm thick. bottom layer being felt, middle looked like tar, and the top level looked like pebble dash. this was overlapped at the front and sides, with a topmost layer on top of the edging peices.

off i went to wicks, bought some green roofing stuff and a tin of black gue (which i'll add still isnt off my hands - lol) and replicated what it looked like before i took it off. (plus the instructions from wicks).

i cleared the area on the bay, brushed down, painted the black stuff on bitumen i think its called, left to semi cure till tacky and then whack the correctly cut edge pieces on (allowing space for a top covering to overlap) - then pained the gue on the bits i was overlapping - left to cure slightly and then wacked the last piece on.

THIS DIDNT WORK - IT WOULDNT STICK OVER THE EDGES, OVER THE LIP AND UNDER SO IT LOOKS NEAT AND TIDY (what youd see from the ground)

ON FURTHER INSPECTION IT WOULDNT ACTUALLY STICK TO THE ROOF PROPPERLY. I took it all off again, and when i was stood on the roof it stuck to my trainers like glue, like.....really sticking - like super glue.

so i repeated the above process applying the black stuff to both the roof and the roofing material, left to semi cure and tried to get it to stick as above.

Again this has not worked. I have now resorted to a temp measure using the thick plastic sheeting, what you'd cover holes, window holes etc untill i can sort it.

I appologise for the long message, just best to give an insight to save any further questions i suppose.

Any advice would be fantastic as i dont fancy calling a roofer out for 2.5mx1m area.

Sponsored Links
Silk purse/Sows ear.

Get it done properly. The stuff you are trying to use is dire.

lol - fair comment tbh.

my mates dads a roofer, think i might have to make the call

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back