Bathroom light switch/cable in stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it modern practice to instead of fitting a ceiling pull cord switch, to fit the light switch on the outside bathroom wall? this will be on an ensuite.

Also when running the cable to the light switch, inside the stud wall, am i correct in reading the regs, that because it won't be 50mm deep, it's ok to purely RCD protect it, or will it need RCD protection as well as an earthed conduit?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is entirely your decision on where you put the switch, if you want it on the outside then fine. if you have kids then it might be better off inside, in which case it is recommended to use a pullcord although in certain positions a switch is allowed.
Concealled cables burried less than 50mm directly in the wall in safe zones in will require RCD protection to comply with the 17th edition regs. These do not need to be in earthed conduit.
This work will be notifiable to your LABC (England/Wales) under part p of the building regs.

Thanks spark123, the LABC are already notified, so no worries on that part.
In that case I think i'll go for the outside switch, its a bit neater IMO. And thanks for confirming my thoughts on the RCD details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back