HP Pavilion T340.uk desk top computer. Wont start.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Before going on holiday,I turned off computer at wall socket. When I turned on again the computer would not start,and I have a green flashing indicator light showing on the power supply unit. Tried switching on/off no joy. I decided to remove the large plug connected to the mother board and the green psu light came on constant. Is there any basic procedure that can be used to identify the area of the fault? Before spending out on big bits of computer trying to eliminate the fault.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried the HP website and typed in your model number and problem ? They usually have helpful advice.

You may want to try removing and replacing all components to make sure all seated correctly.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I just left the computer plugged in over night. The next morning the green warning light was on constantly and the computer started without any problem. If there is any suggestion why this happened it would be interesting to know the reason why? Maybe a capacitor or battery has to charge up. There is no mention of just leaving the pc on for a few hours on the hp site. I thought it was a expensive repair problem. Hope this helps if you have the same problem after turning the computer off.
Thanks for the suggestions.
LEXX

Glad to hear it's now working.
It sounds, from what you did, as if there was either some moisture or a layer of dust across two low voltage contacts that prevented control power getting through. Leaving it plugged in may have resulted in warmth drying out the contacts or the dust getting burned off the contacts.
dave

Hi, sometime what happens is one of the internal components such as a hard disc or maybe the ram etc becomes detatched, once this happens the pc will not boot because it looks for these items during the boot sequence.

Has the pc had a knock which may have dislodged something?

If the problem raises its head again, switch the machine off and disconnect it from the wall, (note when touching parts inside the PC it is advisable to wear an earth strap attached to the chassis, this will prevent static discharge causing irreparable damage) remove each components data ribbon in turn from both ends and refit, ensuring full location and also remove the ram and refit ensuring again full location and the clips fully engage.

I know there have been problems with ribbon failures and also SATA hard drive cables, it may just need a replacement.

Regards Al...

Hi
Now the pc is working ok, I've checked out other sites and found other people have had a the same fault that cleared by leaving the pc plugged in for a few hours. My pc hasn't had any knocks,and it sits on a 1/2" thick piece of block board scewed down through the carpet to the floor boards giving it a nice secure base. Whatever the problem it appears to have cleared, but I don't think I will risk switching the power off for any length of time. Thanks for all the help. Gary.

Hi,
We had a power cut in are area.This time my pc refused to boot up even after being left turned on for a few days. Decided to remove the power supply unit. Powered up the PSU without it connected to the PC and it came on ok, without the green light flashing? I hade a look inside the unit (after removing the power) and noticed that some of the capacitors inside had swollen/bellied out cases, suggesting faulty components. I replaced the psu with a new make, "Power & Smoothing" My pc is now up and running OK. Looks like it was the PSU all the time. Cheers Gary.

hi lexx

Would you mind telling me where you got your replacement psu? I have the same computer and exactly the same problem and am having difficulty finding a replacement.

best wishes

stephen

Hi Stephan,
Sorry for the late reply,just returned from holiday.
I replaced my faulty HP power supply unit with a ocz PC POWER & COOLING SILENCER 310 atx (UK). I purchased it from- www.memoryc.com.(£24).
The unit fitted perfectly into the pc case,I released and moved forward the two disc drive units to give a bit of room when installing the psu. It also has a plug to supply the 3.5" floppy drive,without having to use a plug adaptor.
Also it is a higher wattage than the original fitted.
I have checked at www.memoryc.com but it says it is not available.
looks like the only one they do is rated at 500w, and more expensive.
Good luck with sorting out the problem.
Best wishes. Gary.

Sponsored Links
Back