Extra Security Device for new door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just fitted a new composite door and although its got a multipoint locking system I was wondering if anyone knows of an additional security device I could fit as well and where I may obtain such a device.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards
Mike.

Sponsored Links
Generally I'd say don't bother.

Only a few break-ins are via the front door (unless you live in a high-rise flat), and if its a rear door then it will be jemmied regardless - but still not a main point of entry.

A multi-point lock is enough and the more gear you cut into the door and frame, then more you weaken them. In any case, the locking mechanism is probably preventing another lock to be fitted in a useful place - it will be too high or low

IMO, fitting additional after market security devices to doors & windows are a waste of time & money. Burglars are not sophisticated these days & WILL find the weakest point of entry; they will kick the whole door in if they have to but probably just smash a window out safe in the knowledge that no “have a go hero” is going risk bothering them in case they get knifed & the police won’t turn up until they are long gone!

A burglar alarm will deter, especially if your neighbours don't have one but wrecker bars or steel shutters is the only real chance you have to keep them out; even then they could just hook a 4x4 up to it if you’ve valuable stuff to nick, it has been known!

Thanks for your comments, and I have to agree with your remarks about burglars and the police, Richard. Sign of the times I'm afraid.

I was hoping that I could get something that would have been independent of the door and frame. But after your replies I'm inclined not to bother.

I've got a burglar alarm and the door is in full view of all the houses in the street.

Thanks again.

Mike.

Sponsored Links
you could always have cctv inside and out with a dvr.

the dvr would need to be hidden though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back