Drains and blockages!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Righto,

Having been in our house for 7 months now it became apparent a while ago that there was a pongy smell in the garden near one of the flower beds. I also noticed that there were two large slabs with a flower tub ontop, and around the slabs was always wet. One day I noticed water spitting out between the slabs.

Finally I decided to put on a pair of gloves and see what was lurking beneath. Part of me wishes I hadn't. :oops:

It appears it is a man hole, rectangular but with no metal cover, water up to the very top surface and 'stuff' floating in it. It smelt. After a few tests it is definitely fed by the soil stack. Flushing a loo makes it spill out.

I've arranged for Dyno Rod to come out and check it out. I am concerned that as we have lots of mature trees, they have damaged the drains and we'll need expensive repairs involving lawns being dug up etc etc.

I am not entirely sure what advice I am seeking, but I find the fact that the manhole is in the garden some 20 yards from the house a bit odd. I am also concerned we may share that manhole with our next door neighbours and the problems that might involve.

Does anyone know how I can find out where my drains run to and if they are shared with anyone else?

Also, are drain repairs generally expensive or has man advanced things?

Thanks for listening. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Best thing is get a local firm or one man plumber to check out your drains as dyno rod can be very expensive. Get some advice before you pay anyone. As for knowing if your drains are shared or how they run then look at your boundary plans which you should have handy if you have just bought 7 months ago, your solicitor who handled the purchase of the house may have a copy from doing local searches when you bought. If not speak to the water board. Your survey may of even covered a drains inspection.

If the drains are shared then other people may be having the same problem as you they are also responsible for the repair wether they like it or not. The fact that the drains are 20 yards away could mean that the local water board could be responsible for any repairs and not you.

Digging up drains would be a last resort and would only be done if there was a leak. If the manhole is filling up then there not leaking and its most probably a blockage of some type. As for mature trees the roots can be drawn to drainage leeks but its doesn't sound like you have this problem. If theres young children in houses nearby it will most probably be a nappy or 2 which has been flushed down the toilet. This type of blockage may be simple to remove with a quick rodding....hope this helps.

The Lad from Dyno-Rod should be able to tell you once it is cleared if it's a shared drain.

Don't fret on roots in drain just yet, How long was the house empty before you moved in?
If it was a fair while this can cause the drains to crust up as it were, This would also suggests that you are not on a shared line.

If the lad thinks there is a problem (you can tell while you are jetting how a blockage feels) he will give you a claim form to be able to claim on your buildings insurance, They will do a free camera survey to prepare a report for your insurance company & sort everything out with them.

You only pay your excess once the work is complete, so it won't end up with you having a large dent in your bank account.

It would be worth knowing if your drains are shared, Because if your property was built before October 1937 and it is a shared drain then that would come under a section 24.
A section 24 means that the local water utilities company would be liable to unblock & repair any damage in the drains.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Even before anyone comes have a look in your neighbour's gardens and see which way the water flows in their drains.

If theirs are blocked as well see if you can get the Water Co involved as they are free.

If that does not work then ensure your neighbours share the costs.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back