9" grinder cutting disks and which is which

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a 9" grinder and use cutting disks in it from time to time for my own little jobs. I have noticed that the stone cutting and metal cutting disks look very similar and I have some on which the label is worn off but they still have plenty of life in them, but I cannot tell which is which when the label is gone.

Is there a way to identify whether a disk is for metal or stone cutting once the label has gone, ie a trick or tip etc?

And no before anyone asks, I did not label it so I could tell but probably will in future.

Any info appreciated.

Sponsored Links
before you try anything check the metal ring in the centre - if there isnt a date stamped on it - bin the discs .
If there is a date on but that date has past - bin the discs.
If you arnt sure which is which - bin them

in short - BIN EM ALL
they arnt expensive and i'm sure that you are worth more - dont play with fire

I thought they used preserative (E233) to prolong the disc life?

And is this data a "Use by", "Best before" or "Sell by" date. Should part used discs be put in the fridge?

The only way to distinguish the two would be to try them. Steel discs wont cut stone/concrete but stone will cut steel.

Sponsored Links
What about diamond disks are they dated too? Bit expensive to throw away before they are warn out.

the date is a "use by" date
not only is it illegal to sell them when they are out of date - its illegal to use them !!!!

no date on diamond discs as they dont tend to denigrate ( if thats the right word) over time

by the way did you know that you have to go on a training course to change abrasive discs if you want to do it on site ??

you may be thinking of the abrasive wheels regulations 1970, which was revoked by the HASW Act 1974 which covers it now. (i remeber seeing the old regs up in one of my dads workshops years ago, along with the petrol regs from about 1927 i think!)

I have not seen a date stamp on any discs.

Not sure whether it's because I only buy the cheap ones from Aldi :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back