Difference between PAR38 and R80 spot light bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone explain the difference between these two spot light bulb types?

Is it basically the beam output shape that differs? Or is one type preferable for certain lighting situations?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i didnt know thats what PAR stands for.

other thing is an r80 will smash if you accidentaly hit it.

a par 38 you can kick it and it will be fine (not that you would want to)

par 38s are often used for outside lighting, no special requiremnts other than water resistant holder.

Par%2038%20Bulb.jpg

par 38

RO80red.jpg

RO80 lamp

ip44-par38-flood-Light-complete-with-lamp.jpg

par 38 in its holder, it can rain while its on and the lamp "doesnt care"

Bit of a differance isnt there.

Par 38's used to be used for lighting ponds etc Under water, till they got banned in what year i dont know (but if any one does know......)

It's the sort of obscure knowledge I get ribbed for, but this time you've got me... :cry:

Sponsored Links
A long time since i smashed one, but I think the par 38 uses a heavier duty type of filament.
May also be halogen
They seem to have a longer life.

The ro80 seems to use the standard tungsten filament, like a normal lamp

not to mention the thickness of the glass (or lack of in the RO80)

but if anyone does know when the par38 was banned for use in ponds etc...

if it helps it must have been 20 years ago (ish)

Yes they are still allowed to be used in America, and they have 500w fountain lights, :cry: but then if you see one of their fountains you will understand why. clicky

Specifically, I want a few spot bulbs for photography. These bulbs are available in Par38 or R80 fitting but are CFL daylight bulbs, so I was trying to determine what type/style of beam that these bulbs produce.

I don't know the first thing about photography, but PAR lamps are used extensively in theatres, so maybe the same in a photo studio?

sounds like they are just made in two shapes , so they fit better in the fitting, for instance a Ro80 would look small in a par 38 downlighter and the par 38 would be to big to fit some Ro80 fittings

If your fittings will take either then the par 38 shape would have the greater surface area.

Look at the megaman ones and you will see

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...Tubes_Index/Lamps_Energy_Reflector/index.html
These are not daylight though

With cfl lamps I dont think there is a beam, so just compare the lumen output or wattage of each type

With cfl lamps I dont think there is a beam, so just compare the lumen output or wattage of each type
A CFL with a reflector will most certainly have a different beam shape from one without a reflector or one with a different shape of reflector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back