Fishy smell from shower switch. Advice needed!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just joined forum, hope you can help.

Had a fishy smell in hall outside bathroom after using shower. Only noticed it since we came back from holiday so shower hadn't been used for 2 weeks.

Cable from switch to shower feels hot to the touch after use (at switch end). Cool towards shower itself.

I isolated the switch and had a look inside and the insulation on the live wire is blackened. I know the fishy smell is from the bakelite in the switch overheating/burning but not sure what my options are here.
Is it overheating in the switch, i.e. switch failing or just a poor termination at the switch? Don't know why its just started after 2 weeks away? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheers

RoddyKFC

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem, it would come and go, after many months tracked it down to the fact that a light bulb was just touching the white plastic bulb holder, just moved the bulb away from the holder and never had a sniff since.

Thanks for reply. I'll change out switch tomorrow. Just a thought, should i also replace the cable from switch to shower or just cut back the affected wire? (Lot easier cutting back!!!)

Thanks Again

RoddyKFC

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back