Screwfix latest Catalogue on RCD's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Browsing thru Screwfix latest tome, came across the comment on Part P and the requirement that EVERY socket in the house must be protected by an RCD, so does that mean I have to go out and buy 15-20 RCD.s. Or is this Screwfix employing a very clever sales pitch. Wish I had shares in RCD manufacturers if this is so.

Sponsored Links
All sockets in a house now need to be on a 30mA RCD yes. YOu can have one RCD in the fuseboard covering all the sockets. You dont need to buy all new sockets with built in RCD's!

I shouild have said that I have the older type of fuse box, 4 fuses covering Immersion-Cooker-Lights-Ring, dont have RCD, I trust plugging in an RCD into sockets would suffice, althogh it seems extreme.

I don't think you fully understand things.

All new installations MUST have RCD protection to all socket outlets*

Old installations such as yours are not required to be brought upto date with current regulations.

So, (without seeing the article) it sounds as though what screwfix have written is correct information, and in no way a sales pitch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply, it makes sense now that only New Installations req RCD at sockets, although the screwfix cat made no distiction between new and older properties.

I trust plugging in an RCD into sockets would suffice
Plug in types aren't always reliable and need to be tested at least quaterly but i'd test it every time i used one. Since your consumer unit is old I'd definitley think about having it changed in the not so distant future.

Firstly Part P does not apply in NI.

Secondly even if it did it does not introduce any compulsion to comply with the Wiring Regulations.

Since your consumer unit is old I'd definitley think about having it changed in the not so distant future.
He's right.

Thanks for reply, it makes sense now that only New Installations req RCD at sockets, although the screwfix cat made no distiction between new and older properties.

its not the age of the property its the age of the electrical work been done. If you add new sockets you must first make sure that earth, over current RCD etc stuff are all present and correct and work is done in accordance with current wiring and building regs. not sure about like for like replacements (think that may be a grey area) but most electrical work probably involves new work anyway. The point made was that when new wiring (or building) regulations come out you dont have to immediately update all your old stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back