Kerb lowering enforcement query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'm considering having kerb lowered. My local council seem to think 600 quid is a fair price for 4-5 hours work & that ONLY they can do it.

Does anyone know for definate what penalties/consequences there are if you lower your kerb & then the council find out.

BTW the person lowering the kerb works on the roads for a living so the kerbs will be rebuilt to spec.

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi Damian,

Dont know what local authority you come under but i come under NE Lincs, i had the same argument with my authority and told them that i had a classic car and would hate to claim off the council if anything happened to my car because of their curb.

What do you know i now only have to pay £60 for materials.

Hi,

The council cost me £259 for 2 yards, but I know plenty of people who either did it themselves or had someone else do it at 6 in the morning. The council are supposed to do it because they're responsible for the up keep of the pavement and roads. If you do it yourself make sure your neighbours wont dob ya in.

The local council, and their authorised contractors are the only ones who can alter the highway.

Its not just 5 or 6 hours work but a whole host of other procedural and administration work which has to be done.

The penalties for doing this yourself are probably greater than you realise - a criminal offence with fines and reainstatement costs and fees.

The council should also do regular (quarterly) hightway inspections which often picks these up. If not, it would be picked up at house sale time

And if someone dug up the road at 6AM I am sure there would be a few complaints to the council

Sponsored Links
I take it you know the exact location of the water,gas, electricity,cable tv, telephone wires?

Pete

provided you have the right insurance, the awareness of the need for traffic control, and a permit from the council, then fill ya boots.

as woody has stated, you'll wish you had paid the council to do it in the end.

all work is inspected by a council bod anyhow, and it MUST comply. god help you if you hit a fibre optic cable!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back