bricking a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a downstairs baywindow in the kitchen. We would like to install a sink, cistern and pan and build a dividing wall so that we can have a separate toilet from the kitchen.
This would mean taking out the window and bricking it.

How difficult is this job? Do I need planning permission?
Would a bricklayer or builder be sufficient or do I need a struc engineer?

I'm also not sure if building regs allow a toilet area near the kitchen.

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
This bay window you have is there anything directly above it ??? or is it just a freestanding bay ???

it's just a small one storey extension from the kitchen with a roof above it, about 1 to 1.5m wide

Sponsored Links
Ok, Larco,
So unless you post piccys, lets assume a simple bay window, not on the front elevation.
When it is out and the roof bit over etc you will have an opening with the shape of the bay window below in brick,
If this is correct then you will need to rip out this brickwork and put in a strip foundation to take the wall above.
If on the other hand the wall bellow is straight, (in line with the wall above), then it's just a matter of toothing out the reveals and bricking it up.
Any competant builder will give you a quote, get at least 3.
And ask arround to see if any neighbours had a good one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back