outside toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys need some advice,

We have a outside toilet joined to the kitchen, it's your normal victorian property with the outside toilet which is a good size. We would really like to put a door way into the outside toilet and brick up the doors from the outside giving us the inside toilet. The outside toilet is a single brick construction and was orignally joined by a dividing wall with nextdoors outside toilet. They have had theres rebuilt so the dividing wall is okay for me to use as part of my toilet so i can just plasterboard this wall, as agreed with nextdoors.
1. If we keep the existing walls etc and put the doorway through what do we do re insulation for single brick. I assume this will be cheaper option?
2. would it be easier to knock the two remaining walls down rebuild with two skin etc, although i assume this would be more costly etc etc.

We are happy with the current size but just wondered what you guys think.
Lee

Sponsored Links
Seriously, I would knock the whole thing down, cap the soil pipe, and have a bigger garden. Then I would knock a hole in the kitchen wall where you want to put a door and have a window instead, overlooking your garden let in lots more natural daylight. I've got an old victorian property like you describe and that's what I did.

You'll have to meet current thermal BRegs ceiling/walls/floor once you open it up to your main dwelling - possible but a pain in the backside (It'll be stuffed that full of PIR they'll be nay room to swing a cat by the time you've finished :LOL: ). It can be done if you really want to though....

Not downstairs, no. Originally, typical victorian properties would only have had the toilet outside and no bathroom. Now most have a bathroom and toilet upstairs but you lose one of the original bedrooms.

How many toilets have you got "internally"?

Edit: Just seen you're in Yorkshire - you must live in a sandstone / yorkstone terrace? :D

Sponsored Links
We have a bathroom first floor and then on the top floor we have put it into a master ensuite. Its nice to have a downstairs toilet, we have a few parties and means people dont all have to go upstairs. I am toying with the idea of mayve insulating the outside one and knocking through. I know it will be small but it would be fit for purpose. Do you have a pic of what you did to yours. Its the normal brick construction, none of that terrible stone you see round South Yorkshire dont like it, we are East yorkshire more classy, lol
Lee

I believe, according to Regs, you must have a whb in the toilet if there's only one door between that and the kitchen.

We had a similar situation and due to attempts in the past to make a lobby between the kitchen door and the previously outside toilet and create a new back door, there were four doors, all in close proximity. It wasn't possible to enter the toilet from the garden. You had to go into the kitchen, close the back door, before you could access the toilet door. Then you had to fully enter the toilet, straddle the WC before you could close the door. There was about 50mm clearance between the door and the WC and no whb, there wasn't room for one!
The fourth door was the old coal shed, which opened outwards. When that was open you couln't stay on the path.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back