Spanner for radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm new here but would really appreciate some advice from anyone who's around.

I need to replace a couple of radiators that are too small for a fairly large living room but need to confirm the spanner I need to turn off the valves.

It's a 12yr old house but these are not TRVs. I can turn off the lockshield valve with a 6mm spanner, but on the other side I've taken off the plastic cap (marked WASP TEN) because it's too tight to turn by hand. Oddly enough the size required for this valve is just fractionally larger than 6mm. Is it an imperial size maybe?

Obviously I could use a small adjustable spanner but the one I have, has just a little too much play to grip the squared-off valve firmly enough. Similarly a pair of pliers won't grip it tight enough.

Can anyone tell me please what I need to turn this valve?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
are you fitting new valves as well?
try a pair mole grips.
I wasn't necessarily going to replace the valves but may decide to fit TRVs - obviously I wouodn't need to turn the valves. Someone's borrowed my mole grips but I'll get them back to try.

I know these valves haven't been turned in 12 years but can't believe how firmly stuck they are. I can shift some other valves in the house with the 6mm spanner but there seems to be a very slight difference in the size of the brass head of the inlet valve to the lockshield. Odd

Cheers

seco services Thanks for the advice. Used a mole grip and managed to free, but these valves really are locked in place - originally I turned the plastic cap but it only rounded the mounting inside.

I'm considering replacing the valve for a TRV. The system has micro bore so I'll need to possibly extend the pipework to reach the slightly differently sized radiator. I see you can even get push-fit connections. Got to wonder whether they're just as secure.

Sponsored Links
if you use them properly they are ok.
but if your using on your rads i would rather use copper and lengthen the pipework look lot better than copper/plastic mixed.

Yes, it occurred to me it would look a neater job if I used copper rather than using bulky push-fit fittings - only really used them in hidden areas until now.

I assume the standard micro bore fittings are going to be 10mm.

Thanks for you help.

The spindle you describe could probably be gripped and driven successfully by a 3/8in-square-drive 'universal socket' 7mm-19mm, a socket filled with sprung pins to grip various sized nuts. This size has the socket aperture completely filled by the pins; the 9mm-21mm version with pins that leave gaps will probably NOT grip in this situation. Any combination of adaptor, handle and/or extension for 3/8in sockets can then be used. There does not appear to be a specific tool.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/best-tool-for-lockshield-valve.299459/#ixzz52sSAwpAn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back