Main water stop valve leaking in new build house help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our house in November 2007 - we are the first people to live there and it was built by an independant builder so no NHBC etc to call.

We thought that the downstairs cupboard suffered from a bit of damp after my fiancees shoes got a bit of mould on them, however recently we noticed the wall of the cupboard is showing signs of damp and the paint is starting to blister.

I have dismantled the cupboard noticed that the mains water isolator sits there and that the valve is leaking. It doesnt seem to be the joint but the valve tap that is very slowly drip leaking but all the skirting boards etc that i have removed have gone black underneath and have mould on them, so for me this valve has been leaking for a long time and was only noticeable once the walls showed signs of damp.

I tried contacting the builder to get his plumber around but he seems to have the arse with me and reluctantly gave text the plumbers number to me. Unfortunately the number was erased from my phone (another story) and i have since asked for the plumbers number but he wont respond to messages left.

So do i have a case for getting the orginal builder back, or am do i have no rights and need to get another plumber in to replace the valve? The next problem i have is that i dont know where the main isolator is outside the house and cant find it on any of the drawings so i also need the builder to find out where that is.

Sponsored Links
ps, i am assuming by the spindle, you mean the shaft that comes from the valve tap handle and goes down into the valve.

Sponsored Links
you should have a guarantee with the house. Im not exactly sure but i thought any new bulid had to be NHBC inspected. If so then you have at least a year with the builder.

ps, i am assuming by the spindle, you mean the shaft that comes from the valve tap handle and goes down into the valve.

yes
ok-wink.gif

your learning

many thanks!!! :D

Just need to figure out how to tighten the gland nut now, the valve is half buried into the stud wall so i cant get a socket or a spanner onto the nut :rolleyes:

Looks like the saw is coming out to cut into the wall

Builder should give a s*** though if not take him to the cleaners. He should fix the leak and replace any mess made.

many thanks!!! :D

Just need to figure out how to tighten the gland nut now, the valve is half buried into the stud wall so i cant get a socket or a spanner onto the nut :rolleyes:

Looks like the saw is coming out to cut into the wall

god help the day it needs changing then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back