soundproofing - need advice and thoughts....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I live in a 15 year old semi. While its a pretty nice house its a very cheaply made - thin walls, woodchip floorboards, partition walls etc...

heres my problem. We get quite alot of noise from next door, unfortunately for us our bedroom is right next to next doors new born babys room (well hes one year old I think) every second nights sleep is crap.. we are constantly woken up by crying, and evermorning at around 6am (a good hour before I need to get up) the kids running around, banging against the wall, running the hall etc...

So...while Im never going to "have a word" because well.....kids are kids, and truth be told its not that much of a problem. Id like to know if there are any other options, is there any soundproofing I can add to my side of the wall to help with the noise and get a good nights sleep. Or am i just clutching at straws?

Cost/time info would also be handy

cheers!

Sponsored Links
If you don't mind losing a bit of room space, you could construct a studded wall close to the existing one. This is then filled with insulation (rockwool flexislabs or similar).

The new studding should not contact the existing wall, the top plate and the sole plate should be 25 mm away.

You could then double plasterboard it prior to giving it a final skim.

The overall aim is to apply a mixture of sound absorption/dispersal (rockwool), and mass (double plasterboarding).

However, whilst the above will substantially reduce the noise (even though it won't kill it off completely), it may be overkill due to the work/expense involved.

As above, but if the existing wall between the properties is plasterboard, then remove the existing layer and add a couple more on resibar (aka resilient channel, resilient bar, RC) This will mean you'll lose less floorspace on your side.

Sponsored Links
As above really, plus there are other posts on here with the very same issues and similar solutions.

But it does depend on how much you want to spend in time and materials.

Generally a layer of rockwool and plasterboard and some isolation from the structure is what people attempt, but it may reduce the noise a little, but it's a subjective opinion on whether it reduces any noise enough to have made it worth while doing.

You are looking at a few hundred pounds (excluding electical work) and a couple of days work and disruption - depending on your DIY skills

Really, the work wants to be done in the neighbours house to stop the noise getting out as this will be much more effective than if done in yours to stop it getting in. But obviously that's impractical

The problem with noise is that the more you listen too it the louder it seems to be. A quiet radio often acts a distraction to you before you nod off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back