Decking over a concrete path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this feasible at all?
Since the path is quite raised above the ground level I intend to bolt the sleepers to the sides of it rather then on top of the concrete while leaving a small gap between the concrete and the decking for drainage.

The path is about one and a half foot wide.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the bolts won't hold the weight of the decking?

What if I use longer bolts and 6x2 beams? Would 20x150mm screws be strong enough? Also maybe I should put a strip of wood along the centre of the path and screw the decking through it to the concrete?

Thanks

You won't need 6x2's, you are not raising the deck to such a height to justify it.

What's the min and max (assuming it's not level all the way) drop from the top of the path to the surrounding area ?.

4 x 2 's should do the trick. Bolt every 800mm into the Path.

Are you thinking about putting decking along the sides as well to hide the joists and fixings ?. If so exend the tops by 60mm for a box type look or 80mm for a 10mm over hang on each side.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Pinnacle.
The drop is between 5 and 10 cm. I was actually going to leave the sides open and bring up the soil level, maybe with bark chippings or gravel.

Thanks Pinnacle.
The drop is between 5 and 10 cm. I was actually going to leave the sides open and bring up the soil level, maybe with bark chippings or gravel.

Now I'm confused ?. Leave the sides open ?. Looking at the diagram you were going to put joists there to bolt the decking onto.

I meant I am not going to cover the joists with decking on the sides, if this is what you meant :confused:
Sorry this is my first attempt at decking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back