Raising height of garden path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All
My concrete garden path has seen better days, so I want to overlay with Yorkstone Flags or similar. This will ideally raise the path up by 4-6". On one side is a planting area but on the other side is the lawn. The problem is that I can't seem to find an appropriate edging detail i.e one that is sturdy enough to contain the flags and sand/cement and needs to be at least 4" above ground. I realise that I could use timber edging or decking boards laid on edge but these would hardly be a long term solution due to rotting.
Any advice ?

Sponsored Links
Be easier to dig old path out and re-lay to original height rather than mess about trying to form a retaining edge. No?

I could do with raising the path up though, as that side of the garden sometimes floods. The path and planted area would then be at the same level as the surrounding properties gardens

Sponsored Links
you can get all sorts and heights of dwarf wall kerbs or can use a flag set on edge, but when its actually retaining something it needs to be 1/3 into concrete.

None of these methods is particularly pretty though. A course of brick with the flag extending over the edge would probably look best, 3 inch brick 1-2 inch flag and mortar beds would see you about right.

Yeah, I thought about going down the 8" pin kerb route, but am trying to avoid concrete/mortar. I was hoping that their might be a product someone has used similar to log effect in, say, metre lengths that can be dug out & hammered in. I've trawled the 'net but can't seem to find anything greater than 6" deep, and as you say 1/3rd needs to be below ground for support/retaining.

you can use a course of sleepers, which you can either set a post on the inside and screw them to it or probably better the outside to hold them up.

Likewise you could concrete sleepers in vertically.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back