Insulating before plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our plans have asked for insulation before plastering. The building is built out of 215mm blocks and the shell is up. I cant believe that we cant just plaster the walls :(

So my question is being that this is built with blocks and we require insulation, what sort of stud work needs to go up to take the insulation ect?
Thanks
Nelliedee

Sponsored Links
there is a price to pay for solid wall construction and this is - "where do i fit the insulation"?

on an externally rendered building you could insulate via the external face of the building. you will have needed to account for this extra thickness when forming the roof soft.

otherwise it will mean an internal insulation - either studs or battens with inso' between or pre-backed plasterboards.

there are minimum u value requirements that will need adhering to, in order to satisfy building control. has yours been calculated with a solid wall in mind?

You will need something like 80mm of celotex (or similar).

It can not just go in between studs, but will also need to go across the face of them too. So, perhaps a membrane, then 50x50 timber frame with 50 celotex between studs, then 30mm celotex across the face, then plasterboard - with long screws!

BTW, what do you mean that your plans "have asked for insulation"? The plans should be telling you not asking you!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your your replies.

Yes the plans have told us to do his, I was just being polite with my English

Nelliedee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back