Replacing a fence with a brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do i need to issue a party wall notice if i am to remove my garde fence and replace with a concrete block wall , the wall will finish flush with next doors garage.

Sponsored Links
A friendly chat, some sketches and a good expalnation of what your doing is a far better option.

Thats not possible as they failed to issue me a party wall notice which cost them a lot of money in surveyors/structual fees as well as rebuilding our garden wall !!!!! Hence they hate me !!

The PWA only applies to garden walls if they straddle the property boundary - it is then a "Party Fence Wall".

Sponsored Links
I was lead to believe if you excavated for a footing within 3 mtrs of a neighbours property ( in this case their garage ) that you have to issue a party wall notice. thanks

No, the PWA only applies to certain defined work, and not footings in general

Hello Woody , So as my new wall will finish approx 1 mtr from their garage it is therefore not straddling their garage. Their garage is right up against the party wall on their side. Where did i get within 3 mtrs of a boundary from then as i have read about the pwa -must of interpreted it wrong then !!!!

In your case the PWA will only appy if your wall is against or straddling the boundary line or the foundations (within 1m) are deeper than those of their building(which I doubt they will be). The 6m rule would only apply if they had very shallow foundations or you had exceptionaly deep ones

my garden wall will have approx 18" deep footings and the end of the wall will be slightly over 1 mtr from their garage. Their garage foundations are about 9" deep , against their garage is my garden wall which has 2 foot deep footings as they had to replace it , so from the end of my proposed wall about a meter away is my garden wall then the otherside of my garden wall about 1" away is their garage.

If you plan to:
excavate,or excavate and construct foundations for a new building or
structure, within 3 metres of a neighbouring owner’s building or structure,
where that work will go deeper than the neighbour’s foundations (see
diagram 6); or
excavate, or excavate for and construct foundations for a new building or
structure, within 6 metres of a neighbouring owner’s building or structure,
where that work will cut a line drawn downwards at 45° from the bottom of
the neighbour’s foundations (see diagram 7)
you must inform the Adjoining Owner or owners by serving a notice - see paragraphs
7 and 8.

i have just copied this from the PWA and it says within 3 mtrs , but in between the end of my proposed wall and their garage i have my garden wall with footings deper than their garage.

The Act defines what is a Party Wall and what works are covered by the Act.

The reference to foundations and excavations applies to specific types of work or structure covered by the Act. Not all types of foundations or excavations

Your proposal is not a Party Wall, it is a boundary wall, and the PWA will not apply

Just build your flipping wall. If they have a complaint, put a bat through their letterbox.

I would agree there is actually no penalty for not issueing a party wall notice anyway and as woody says this would be a party fence issue.

ok ,so if this is a party fence issue do i legally have to issue my neighbours with any form of notice.

What i do not want to happen is for them to come back at me in 3 months time and say our garage wall is cracked because you built a concrete block wall which finished approx 1 mtr from the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back