Digital room thermostats...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am thinking about changing my room stat to a new modern look programmable digi room stat!

is the wiring the same.. ie. 3 wires, common, call and sat?

i have looked at a few sites, drayton, etc to look at what's available.

any recommendations from personal preference?

also one of the spec's i read about room stats (DRAYTON) said "battery powered" : does this mean the lcd digital display is battery powered? i guess it's still powered (via the wiring centre) the same way as normal room stats are, hence the 3 wires also...

Sponsored Links
hi - yes programmable room stats are operated by a battery and usually installed/replaced in the same way as a normal room stat (ie 3 wires, common, call and sat (1, 2 & 3 usually).

when you get one make sure you check the instructions re wiring, they often dont use a neutral.

Sponsored Links
twgas is right-if your old room stat uses a neutral then remove this (also from the junction box end as well as the room stat end). you just need the 3 wires, common, call and sat.

is the wiring the same.. ie. 3 wires, common, call and sat?
Mechanical stats had: Live, Neutral, Switched Live(call) the Sat terminal was rarely used. Digital stats only need a live and switched live as the neutral is no longer required.

any recommendations from personal preference?
Honeywell CM900 series

There are two types of boilers: 1. those which get their 240v supply voltage via the thermostat; 2. Those which have an independent 240v supply and have a pair of "volt free" terminals to which the programmer/thermostat is connected.

Most programmers can handle both types of boiler; just make sure which type you need before you buy.

does this mean the lcd digital display is battery powered?
Many digital programmers use a battery to run the internal electronics and display.

There are several possibilities:

• Mains run programmer - switched 240v to boiler: needs 3 wires (+ earth)
    Mains run programmer - volt free boiler: needs 4 wires (+ earth)
    Battery run programmer - switched 240v to boiler (needs 2 wires)
    Battery run programmer - volt free switching to boiler (needs 2 wires)

the DRAYTON room stat (digi) i have has HTG SAT, HTG CALL and COM terminal's (3) in total. The NEUTRAL is not required.

If your old room stat has 3 terminals (probably common, call and sat, then you may need a multimeter to make sure the swap the correct wires!!

If your old room stat has 3 terminals (probably common, call and sat,

not many systems use a "sat" on room stat, third wire is more likely a neutral.

hi thanks all for your responses

i am slightly confused now! ...

my room stat currently has 3 terminals, i believe them to be common, call and satisfied.

if the new room stat has 3 terminals these obviously just need swapping over (will the new room stat have instructions for this to make it clearer)?

secondly, if my original room stat DOES have 4 terminals as D_Hailsham stated - what do I do with the NEUTRAL terminal that does not need to be used for a digi room stat? do i just ignore it ??

Thanks.

my room stat currently has 3 terminals, i believe them to be common, call and satisfied.
What make/model is you existing stat?
Which terminals have wires connected to them?

if the new room stat has 3 terminals these obviously just need swapping over
Not necessarily correct. If one of the wires is a neutral and the new stat is battery operated, the neutral will not be required and should be disconnected at both ends and cut short. (Don't assume that a blue wire is necessarily a neutral)[/quote]

Easiest solution

Buy a new programmer
Post info about your old stat, your new stat and your boiler.
Someone will tell you what to do ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back