wasps in roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i have been doign some work in my loft. i noticed when i was bangign nails in the joists above the bedroom, on the odd occasion a few wasps feel down. they looked like they had no energy left in them.

builder told me there might be a small nest under the roof tiles, above the felt somewhere. how can i find them?? i cant be lifing roof tiles surely?

also i need to get my chimney capped off at the top with air vents, how much should i be paying for this?

Sponsored Links
hi
i have been doign some work in my loft. i noticed when i was bangign nails in the joists above the bedroom, on the odd occasion a few wasps feel down. they looked like they had no energy left in them.

No energy left eh? Are your walls stone or brick?

If they're stone then the wasps have probably been smoking your walls and gotten stoned. March them off to rehab quicksmart or the next thing they'll be snorting your plasterboard chalk - a frightening prospect i can assure you.

Check that you have comb filters or similar (cut expanded metal with tin snips?) at the eaves to prevent insects getting in under the tile profile (if your roof's tiled). Make sure there are no gaps at the verge and eaves, perhaps seal up with a bit of silicone depending on what way it's detailed (careful not to block any ventilation gaps).

Hib

the walls are all made out of brick. they are definatley not in the loft, but i beleive they are in the roof tiles somewhere. they always fall near the bay area of the windows, so i beleive they are near the eaves somewhere, in the aprex area.

Sponsored Links
Just make sure there's no way for them to get in or out and then the ones that are left in there will soon die - end of problem.

Make sure any venilation gaps are insect proof and seal up any other gaps with silicone (as a quick-fix). Check the mortar is still between the ridge tiles - if not (and depending on how bad) - silicone or re-mortar.

Enjoy

Hi

I am a pest control officer and i recomend if you cant see the nest and its not causing you that much trouble then leave it.

The wasps will die off when the first frost of the autumn/winter comes.

The nest is made out of regurgitated wood (paper like). It will not cause you any structural damage and they will not return to the nest next year.

If you can see where the wasps are entering,wait untill it goes dark and fill the entrance with ant powder (yes ant powder). this will kill them off but you would need to go on the roof. Make sure you are covered up when you do this aas there may be some wasps still active.

NEVER DO THIS IN THE DAY TIME AS YOU WILL BE STUNG, YOU MAY FALL OFF THE ROOF AND I WOULD HAVE A DEATH ON MY CONCHENSE.

But seriousley mate bee carefull (get it)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back