new socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a socket where the fuse box is, there are no other existing sockets nearby. How do i do this? Thanks.

Moved as originally posted in WRONG FORUM (general diy)

Sponsored Links
You need to either :-

Take a spur off an existing socket, even if it's not near.
Extend and existing ring, even if it's not near.
If you have suitable room in the fuse box, create a new circuit.

However, personally I wouldn't advise any of the above, I think you're best off calling an electrician. Do NOT play around with the fuse box, there is a very real possibility of receiving a fatal shock from this.

Good Luck, most of all be careful !!

Lina - how accessible are the cables leaving the CU, and where, in relation to those, do you want the socket?

I'm just wondering if it would be an easy job to insert the new socket at the start of one of the rings.

I'm also a little worried that you thought you needed a socket nearby to be able to add a new one....

btw CU is the modern term for fuse box

your options are
1: put the socket on its own 15A/16A fuse/breaker
2: add a third 2.5mm cable to the breaker that is powering a ring and run it direct to a socket
3: disconnecty a ring cable from its breaker connect it to your new socket and then

option 1 is prefered if you have a spare breaker space in the CU

oprion 2 is probablly neater than option 3 as rerouting existing cables tend to get messy but option 3 may be easier if your CU has low terminal capacity.

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:

However, personally I wouldn't advise any of the above, I think you're best off calling an electrician. Do NOT play around with the fuse box, there is a very real possibility of receiving a fatal shock from this.
this is supposed to be a diy electrics help forum ;)

adding cuircuits to a CU really isn't that hard and is something we commonly give diyers advice on here

afaict only the following are considered as things we shouldn't advise diyers to do

1: pull the service fuse
2: work on 3 phase
3: work on commercial stuff

And what about industrial stuff ...

Some three phase is okay for DIYers IMO, such as connecting a three phase oven - just very basic stuff like that... anything involving the DB is out though.

mmm from the pics i have seen of modern 3 phase DBs they don't look any harder to add a cuircuit to than a CU

plugwash said:
Eddie M said:

this is supposed to be a diy electrics help forum ;)

adding cuircuits to a CU really isn't that hard and is something we commonly give diyers advice on here

afaict only the following are considered as things we shouldn't advise diyers to do

1: pull the service fuse
2: work on 3 phase
3: work on commercial stuff

I'm hijacking the post here, but working from the CU, without pulling the REC fuse, is effectively working live no? I'm absolutley more than happy to be quoted as wrong, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. :)

The CU has a big switch which turns off power to all metalwork exposed inside. Assuming the sparks who installed it cut the insulation on the meter tails properly, then everything else should be safe to proceed with caution.

Even with the switch 'on' the busbar and all live parts before the mcbs should be at least partially shielded by plastic bits when the main cover is off.

Damocles said:
The CU has a big switch which turns off power to all metalwork exposed inside. Assuming the sparks who installed it cut the insulation on the meter tails properly, then everything else should be safe to proceed with caution.

Even with the switch 'on' the busbar and all live parts before the mcbs should be at least partially shielded by plastic bits when the main cover is off.

Yeah, agreed, that's where my situation and possibly others situations break down. If I 'm working on a circuit, then it is preferable to isolate only the circuit in question. Trouble is, some of the old cartridges in my Fuse box are broken, effectivley exposing the busbar, which I assume is capable of giving me, an 80A jump. Yes I know that the old FB must be replaced, as it is potentially dangerous, even though it is protected with a downstream RCU.

Eddie M said:
Trouble is, some of the old cartridges in my Fuse box are broken, effectivley exposing the busbar, which I assume is capable of giving me, an 80A jump.
Oh a lot more than that. Not that it matters, dead is dead.

But you shouldn't assume that everybody else's CU is in such a parlous state.

Yes I know that the old FB must be replaced, as it is potentially dangerous, even though it is protected with a downstream RCU.
Indeed it must, and sooner rather than later!

Don't know what an RCU is, but if it's downstream it won't be protecting the CU...

Regional Co-ordination Unit ? ... Downriver from incomer or Cu .. Only Edward knows ... but then again ???

P

Do you mean there is a RCD between meter and fusebox? then presumably you could turn it off.

If there is an RCD before the fusebox, then it might protect you from shock if you touched something you would have sooner not.

RCU??? what am I like?? sorry, RCD !! Yes it will stop me from getting a probably fatal bolt off the fuse box, that is if it works (which it seems to) but that is not the issue, if it doesn't work then accepted, I'm toast !! I have the quotes for a replacement coming in as I type. The old box, is knackered, old, dangerous, and has to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back