Buying New PC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have decided, after much hair-pulling and many blue screen moments, to evict my beloved ( :evil: ) PC.

I'm thinking of this one ( http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143129/show_product_specifications?spectype=extended ) as a cheap means to achieve my simple ends. I don't need masses of HD space, or high-end graphics.

I'm also toying with the idea of building one, but cannot seem to balance the costs: the one shown is 200 inc vat but I can't seem to buy equivalent bits for much less....

Any guidance or advice? Cheers!

Sponsored Links
I’ve always built my own boxes from scratch around every 18 months. My current box is now 6 months old & at one time you could save a packet but these days, it’s very marginal. There are some excellent spec boxes around for less than 300 quid & unless you want something special, I’d go with a pre-built box; it’s increasingly not worth the hassle of building youre own.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't seem a bad deal, I have the e2160 processor and it can be overclocked considerably with no 'side effects'

The fact that the machine has Vista premium means you should really think to upgrade the memory, A 2GB kit will cost about another £25 and will make a noticable speed difference. Or if you have a existing version of XP you could use then consider installing that instead.

For that money I'd prefer get a Dell Vostro with XP and a three-year warranty. They come with Vista media just in case you get bored of punching yourself in the b*lloks.

got mine from arbico a few months back and have been very happy with spec, service and machine so far

And if you're happy with Vista, just think how ecstatic you'd be with XP. ;)

And if you're happy with Vista, just think how ecstatic you'd be with XP. ;)
I've been running both in parallel for around 9 months now but no matter how much I try to abandon my XP pro, I boot it 8 out of 10 just to get an easy, speedy & predictable life! Will I really have to "conform" eventually? :cry:

No.

The release of Windows 2010 is expected in 2009.

If Microsoft gets that one wrong then it will be like writing "kick me hard here" on its groin and standing outside the Google headquarters.

No.

The release of Windows 2010 is expected in 2009.

If Microsoft gets that one wrong then it will be like writing "kick me hard here" on its groin and standing outside the Google headquarters.
Great; So are MS taking a step sideways again? is Vista to be confined to the garbage can much like Milleneum. :LOL:

I don't align with your view of the Windows evolutionary paths.

Vista was, er, well, personally I fail to see the point of it. If it does get sidelined then (a) it's well-deserved and (b) and it doesn't bear any parallel to Windows Me.

Windows Me was by far the best of the 16-bit multimedia-friendly family, which had run its course. It was natural and senisble to converge that GUI with the NT kernel and produce something like XP, with a common codebase for all customers.

Windows Me was by far the best of the 16-bit multimedia-friendly family, which had run its course. It was natural and senisble to converge that GUI with the NT kernel and produce something like XP, with a common codebase for all customers.

I got the impression Me was hurriedly introduced as a stop gap before the introduction of the 32 bit, NT based platform of XP. I remember it as being decidedly flaky, far too many blue screens & I abandoned it in favour of 2000 until I started using XP Pro almost as it hit the street.

One of my good customers is a database programmer (access/SQL) and somehow fortunately got invited to the microsoft presentation in London a few months ago where Bill Gates attended to give a speech.

He said that it was all but spelt out that Microsoft want to dump Vista asap, so I can only presume that the 2010 system you refer to Softus is what they think is the way ahead.

They also apparently implied that they wanted to merge the domestic market into the business side, and get out of it.

As a side, he was also impressed/disgusted by the aount of money spent on this presentation and all the free posh nosh etc that was on offer for the approx 1400 attendees, but then when a company spends around £6 billion on R & D each year that pales into insignificance I suppose.

How the other half live :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back