Temp will not rise when thermostat dial is turned higher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has encountered this issue before...I have a Glowworm Micron 40FF and when I try and increase the temp. on the room thermostat to above 23C the boiler does not increase the heat output the radiators. Thinking that the thermostat dial (as advised by a corgi engineer) was faulty, I replaced the room thermostat dial with a new one but this has not fixed the problem and I'm unable to increase the temp. - Any thoughts would be appreciated. e any difference.thermostat

Sponsored Links
before you changed the first stat you should have linked it out to take it out the equation to check it, when linked out the temp is controlled by boiler stat, if fully on the rads would increase temp, if no difference it means the stat is ok and the problem lies at the boiler, either stat, gas pressure etc, how is the hot water temp? have you checked the heating zone valve, bled rads etc?

Thanks for your reply. The room thermostat was replaced after checking that was not sending electrical signal to the boiler. I have hot water running from the taps and temp is high. I have not checked the heating zone valves as I'm not sure what to look for or comfortable with taking them apart. Apart from the zzone valves could it be anything else? at least if i could narrow the problem to one possible cause this would help.

Sponsored Links
when I try and increase the temp. on the room thermostat to above 23C the boiler does not increase the heat output the radiators.
I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean the radiators are hot, but don't get hotter? Or do you mean the radiators are cold?

The radiators are warm but do NOT get warmer when the room thermostat is turned up from 23C to 30C

the wall stat turns the pump on and off. Turning it up does not make the radiators any hotter.

You can make the radiators hotter by turning up the thermostat on the boiler.

What you have said does not indicate a problem with the wall thermostat.

The thermostat dial on the boiler itself is set to near max capacity. So it appears that both room thermostat and boiler thermostat are set to high and yet it still doesn't increase the rad temperature. The pump is fairly new and also sounds as if it is working...any other thoughts on what it may be?

how hot are the radiators? Are they hot all over - top, middle, bottom, edges, centre?

are any of the pipes hotter than the radiators?

are some radiators hotter than others?

have you got Thermostatic Radiator Valves?

how hot is the tap water?

if you post some pics of all the pipes, valves, pumps etc that are visible, it may help.

how long have you lived there, and when did the heating last work properly?

when was the boiler installed?

is it one of these http://www.vhsdirect.co.uk/site/product.cfm?id=26CC348A-C7B2-D5FB-DF5D280BEB70C78D

what size is your house, and how many radiators have you got?

Is the boiler continuoisly firing, or does it turn itself off after a period?

The radiators are hot all over.
Pipes as hot as radiators
All radiators feel as hot as one another
No thermostatic valves
Tap water is hot enough to scold hands
I do not know how old ther boiler is but it looks at least 10yrs old

The temp of the radiators is luke warm despite the thermostat and boiler dials being set to to max temp.

Yes, the boiler is the one in the link above.
Rads are uniformly hot all over
The boiler sometimes cuts off and burner doesn't ignite and stops working other times it can run for a good 48hrs - very inconsistent.

However, even when the boiler is running and the burner is on; it is still impossible to get the heat of the rads beyond 23C - which is the original issue described above.

The boiler in question is for 3beds - S Plan config.

Thanks.

I have a Glowworm Micron 40FF and when I try and increase the temp. on the room thermostat to above 23C the boiler does not increase the heat output the radiators.
Is this a new problem or has it always been like this?

It is an old problem the boiler has had for the last year at least.
Have you made any changes to your heating system? e.g new/additional radiators; new pump; new motorized valve; adjusted any valves; changed the pump speed (what is it set to?); etc etc.

Can you measure the surface temperature of the radiators?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back