DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Dulux Trade Supermatt quick question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazydays99

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote

Hello everyone. Great and very helpful forum.

I had a quick question. Have had some damp proofing done and after 3 weeks the plaster is looking pretty dry. Have been told to get a "breathable contact emulsion" to allow the plaster to continue to breathe. Looking through the posts here it seems Dulux Trade Supermatt is the best option.

My question is this - would I be able to get the Dulux Decorater Centre to make me up a new colour (Ivory Lace) with the supermatt as the base? This colour is not in their normal range of pastels.

The Decorater Centre said no problem but the Dulux Technical Helpdesk said this may impede the breathability qualities of the paint and therefore could potentially stop the plaster drying as well?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
spice

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote

Hi there, Did they do a bonding plaster, followed by a skim?, as normally you have to wait months for it to dry out, specially when you have damp proofing done I know there is paints that you can use over wet plaster etc, but if its bonded, then skimmed, it has to dry from the inside out, and this can take up 6 months,or am I being too dated. icon_lol.gif

As to the Ivory lace, as long as you do your mistcoat, if its bonded and skimmed, (it must be contract or supermatt).

If its just a skim plaster, then you can use your supermatt/contract as a mistcoat, then you can follow with the vinyl ivory lace, but I would slightly thin down the fist coat of the Vinyl Ivory lace, (over your mistcoat).
 Alert Moderators
lazydays99

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote

Many thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

With respect to the bonding not too sure. Will give them a call. They did say I could paint over after 3 weeks with a breathable non - vinyl contract emulsion so I guess it is ok.

Your advice is most useful. As a note, following some calls to the Dulux Decorater Centre and repeat calls to the technical helpline they confirmed that they would be able to use the vinyl recipie for ivory lace with the supermatt base and they confirmed that it should not impact breathability.

All the best
 Alert Moderators
spice

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:18 am Reply with quote

lazydays99 wrote:
Many thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

supermatt base and they confirmed that it should not impact breathability.

All the best

Your very welcome. icon_biggrin.gif Thats what makes me wonder if its bonded first, cause it would still need to dry/breathe from the inside out.

If its skimmed, (finish coat) then the plaster usually dries between 4-7 days, depending on weather, and you can paint it.

Now,some people say, and some decs use a vinyl paint, watered down (mistcoat) as your mistcoat, but I would never do that, even if its just skimmed, I always use the contract/supermatt, you are 100% guarenteed that there will be no comebacks.

Hopefully Zamps, icon_lol.gif or another dec might be able to advise you, even if their advice is different to mine.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: