Dulux Trade Supermatt quick question

L

lazydays99

Hello everyone. Great and very helpful forum.

I had a quick question. Have had some damp proofing done and after 3 weeks the plaster is looking pretty dry. Have been told to get a "breathable contact emulsion" to allow the plaster to continue to breathe. Looking through the posts here it seems Dulux Trade Supermatt is the best option.

My question is this - would I be able to get the Dulux Decorater Centre to make me up a new colour (Ivory Lace) with the supermatt as the base? This colour is not in their normal range of pastels.

The Decorater Centre said no problem but the Dulux Technical Helpdesk said this may impede the breathability qualities of the paint and therefore could potentially stop the plaster drying as well?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi there, Did they do a bonding plaster, followed by a skim?, as normally you have to wait months for it to dry out, specially when you have damp proofing done I know there is paints that you can use over wet plaster etc, but if its bonded, then skimmed, it has to dry from the inside out, and this can take up 6 months,or am I being too dated. :LOL:

As to the Ivory lace, as long as you do your mistcoat, if its bonded and skimmed, (it must be contract or supermatt).

If its just a skim plaster, then you can use your supermatt/contract as a mistcoat, then you can follow with the vinyl ivory lace, but I would slightly thin down the fist coat of the Vinyl Ivory lace, (over your mistcoat).

Many thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

With respect to the bonding not too sure. Will give them a call. They did say I could paint over after 3 weeks with a breathable non - vinyl contract emulsion so I guess it is ok.

Your advice is most useful. As a note, following some calls to the Dulux Decorater Centre and repeat calls to the technical helpline they confirmed that they would be able to use the vinyl recipie for ivory lace with the supermatt base and they confirmed that it should not impact breathability.

All the best

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

supermatt base and they confirmed that it should not impact breathability.

All the best

Your very welcome. :D Thats what makes me wonder if its bonded first, cause it would still need to dry/breathe from the inside out.

If its skimmed, (finish coat) then the plaster usually dries between 4-7 days, depending on weather, and you can paint it.

Now,some people say, and some decs use a vinyl paint, watered down (mistcoat) as your mistcoat, but I would never do that, even if its just skimmed, I always use the contract/supermatt, you are 100% guarenteed that there will be no comebacks.

Hopefully Zamps, :LOL: or another dec might be able to advise you, even if their advice is different to mine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back