fixing timber posts against 45ft long 2ft 8" high wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have an approx 45ft long 2ft 8" high stone or concrete blocks wall that was built years ago by neighbour.

I want to erect 7 6 x 4ft high panels adding to height of wall. Neighbour is happy for us to fix posts to wall.

Wall seems totally solid. They are typical lap larch panels.

Just wanted opinions on the wall being able to handle this and if we should bolt through post to wall or use some kind of bracket that goes around post and bolts on either side. Also, how many would be required for each.

many thanks, katz :)

Sponsored Links
Use hammer in 'thrubolts' to attach post to the full height of the wall.

If you're in a windy spot, you could drill right through and insert a length of studding or long bolt thru bolt and wall.

In either case digging the post into the ground a little bit won't hurt either.

hi, thanks for reply

we can't put posts into ground as foundations for wall spreads out too far. ie would leave a space of apporx 10" between bottom of panel and wall.

katz

How wide/ thick is the wall. Thats quite a sail you want to add to a wall that size.

Sponsored Links
hi, thanks for reply

we can't put posts into ground as foundations for wall spreads out too far. ie would leave a space of apporx 10" between bottom of panel and wall.

katz

If the founds are a concrete strip, I'd be bolting down into that with flush fit bolt down metp05ts* This will alleviate a lot of stress from the wall.

Then thrubolt or strap to the wall about 2/3 up.

*edited to beat the 'swearing' filter.

How wide/ thick is the wall. Thats quite a sail you want to add to a wall that size.

its 4" thick. There are various objects on the other side that we thought would help with sheilding from wind! a 7ft long shed an oil tank container for CH shrubs etc.

A local builder said that's how he would do it?

thanks, katz

will the fence be 4ft above the hight of the existing wall, or is it go from ground level?

if its 4 feet over, then there will be a wind loading on it, but it should be ok.

we would use through bolts, probaly 3 per post, which would be strong enough. I deally we would break into the wall foundation and get a small footing in the ground, but if it cant be done then the first option would be fine. (as long as the wall is strong enough!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back