Flood sump and pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I urgently need to find a plastic sump to fit in a new concrete floor. the house is subject to a flood risk and the sump and pump will allow us to pump out seaping water as it enters.

Pumps are very easy to find, sumps are not!

We have existing sumps which are plastic lined and about 400mm x 400mm x 400mm. Anything bigger will make it an problem for day to day use as it is effectivelly a hole inthe floor with plywood over the top.

If anyone has any tips or experience I would be grateful. Links to supplier even better!

thanks Olly

Sponsored Links
I used a standard cold water header tank for the central heating. Its about the size you mention.

Yep or use 2 or 3 dotted about with link pipesif you need the extra volume with out weakening the floor.
Remember to fill the tanks with wet compacted sand before you pour the concrette though or the sides of the tanks will colapse in. When the concrette has gone off dig the sand out.

Tony

thanks, i did consider that. How do you seal damp membrane around it? Flooding for us is through rising ground water.

Sponsored Links
Build a brick chamber in the ground with a membrane around it to stop soil washing in. Then fit weep holes in it. This will allow the water to flow into the chamber for you to pump out, fit a pump with a float switch and an overide system.

Tony

thanks, I need to make this a bit clearer. the house is adjacent to a main river. when it floods the water first rises through the gound and seaps through the floor. a low point is needed to brush water into and pump it out.

if the river continues to rise the water then seaps through the floor and walls. doors are protected by clip on flood doors.

so, the sump needs to be water proof otherwise the high river events will cause a considerable flow from a sump with weap holes - imagine a spring on a hillside. the water level outside could be 1m higher than the bottom of the sump, that means the water has a bit of pressure behind it.

floors are concrete slap and ceramic tiles. Ideally I'd like to sink a sump into it. this will mean cutting through the damp membrane which clearly then makes the sump a weak point.

any ideas and suggestions welcome, thanks

the house is adjacent to a main river. when it floods the water first rises through the gound and seaps through the floor.
any ideas and suggestions welcome, thanks

Move house :LOL:

What about a pond liner? Can shape it any size you want then.

Good call ^Neo^ Op could have a fish trap as well :LOL:
Handy if there are trout in the river.

If the water comes up throught the floor why does it have to be sealed?
It is a tiled floor on to concrette or wood?
To seal it from above just lap the edges of the tiles over the tank top a bit. Or after the concrette has gone off, removed sumps and silicone around the top of the hole quite liberally and put tanks back in filled with sand until silicone has gone off.

Not an easy call really because rising water at a fast rate will float the plastic bins out anyway. A combination of the above would be good.
OR
Still might be best to build some chambers of engineering brick, in water bond and tank them outside and then pour your concrette. They will resit sideways forces at lower levels better than a header tank.

Tony

thanks Tony, floors are contrete sealed with ceramic tiles. Water does however find its way in and can lead to regular pumping out. Its about minimising damage, not preventing any water ingress (which is pretty much impossible).

I think i will try to sink a tank into a concrete lining to give it some strength.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back