Im a Level 3 apprentice and need help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing an assignment on U values and the kelvin scale if you could help with any of these questions, it would be much appreciated.

Q1- What building Regulation documents apply to
a) Walling-Structure
b) Walling-W/m2K
c) Foundation
d) Concrete floor-resistance to moisture
e) Projections

Q2 - What is the current acceptable u value for a typical extension and how is the u value of a building commonly improved to ensure resistance to heat loss?

Any answers would be a big help, cheers people.

Sponsored Links
I'm not going to provide you with the answers because that would defeat the whole objective of your assignment. However, all the information you need can be found in the various Approved Documents.

Happy reading :D

OMG, the cheek of it!

You only have to get the document titles of the 14 approved documents and there are your answers to part 1

Question 2 is a bit misleading. There is no typical u-value for an extension, but each part of the structure will need to conform to a different u-value - ie one for walls, one for roof, one for floors etc.

U-values are improved by .... well consider, if every material, has a specific ability to reflect heat (or more correctly let heat pass through it), and this relates to the materials thickness then how would you make something reflect more heat or let less heat pass through it? And if one material is twice as efficient as another, then which one will allow a thinner wall to be built?

Sponsored Links
OMG, the cheek of it!
lol, kids today hey Woody, don't know they're born I tell thee!

As an aside I thought Q2 was a tadge ambiguous as well, as there is no '1 value catch all answer' as you know. The second half is pretty straight forward though ;) .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back