How do I wire a replacement 2 way 2 gang light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old one has a single'block' on the back with 3 terminals top and bottom L1 L2 and com.
New one has two 'blocks' with an L terminal at the top of each and L1 and L2 at the bottom of each.
There are 4 incoming cables, 2 have a red and a black wire and the other 2 have a red and a green.
How should I wire the new one please
Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
The old one has a single'block' on the back with 3 terminals top and bottom L1 L2 and com.
New one has two 'blocks' with an L terminal at the top of each and L1 and L2 at the bottom of each.
Do they actually read

L1 L2 COM
COM L1 L2

?

If they do, can't you see which COM is associated with which L1 & L2?

If not, and if you can't tell from the wiring which must go with which then you'll have to use your multimeter to find which goes with which.

There are 4 incoming cables, 2 have a red and a black wire and the other 2 have a red and a green.
Red and green?

That's a strange combination - are you sure?

And no earths? I hope your new switch isn't a metal one...

How should I wire the new one please
Assuming it works how it should, the same as the old one - just transfer the wires from their existing COM/L1/L2 terminals to the corresponding ones on the new switch.

Any help gratefully received.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

My apologies - yes, it is. The various alternative identification systems are (these won't line up perfectly, but hopefully you'll get the drift):

• COM L1 L2
  • L1 L2 L3
  • L L1 L2

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back