Door Closing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently hung a new interior door to replace an old one that was there. The problem is it keeps closing itself. How do I stop this. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The door keeps closing because it is not hanging plumb.Try to pack one of the hinges out with a piece of card on the door casing side.If it gets no better then try the other hinge. A few attempts and a bit of trail and error and it will come right.

Sponsored Links
I have a similar problem, except that I have a few doors that don't close properly. On close inspection, I noticed that the lower part of the doors are fractionally closer to the frames and this stops the latches from locking when the doors are closed.

I have never rehung a door before, nor seen it done, but I would imagine that is my only option. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, even if it is just a pointer to a good website with a video.

I have a similar problem, except that I have a few doors that don't close properly. On close inspection, I noticed that the lower part of the doors are fractionally closer to the frames and this stops the latches from locking when the doors are closed.

I have never rehung a door before, nor seen it done, but I would imagine that is my only option. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, even if it is just a pointer to a good website with a video.
You should be able to pack out the lower hinge, no need to remove door slacken hinge screws and poke a small piece of cardboard behind the hinge and re-tighten, may take a few attempts to obtain correct gap.
Before you do this check the upper hinges haven't simply become loose.

why would he pack out the lower hinge if it's the lower part that is closer to the frame? it's the top he needs to pack, or sink the bottom hinge a bit more..

It sounds to me that the bottom hinge needs moving sidewards if the latch wont work.Try loosening the complete set of hinges, putting a thin packer in the jamb and closing the door. This should tell you if it will work. Then with some assistance hold the door away from the frame at the bottom and tighten the hinges up. You may just get enough movement.

why would he pack out the lower hinge if it's the lower part that is closer to the frame? it's the top he needs to pack, or sink the bottom hinge a bit more..
Poster does not state which side of the door is tight, I assumed the hinge side [he stated he had opposite problem to originl post, ie. door swinging open] you assumed he referred to latch side. Perhaps he will tell us.?

Poster does not state which side of the door is tight, I assumed the hinge side [he stated he had opposite problem to originl post, ie. door swinging open] you assumed he referred to latch side. Perhaps he will tell us.?

Thanks to those who replied, I've been away for a few days, so only just noticed the answers.

The door is prevented from closing properly because the door closes first at the bottom on the latch side, not the hinge side.

I haven't tried anything yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back