Standard light switch on mains circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello peeps

Is it okay to switch the live wire of a 2.5mm tc+e on the mains circuit using a standard light switch?

Does the difference in connector block and junction box maximum amp rating only apply due to the size of the cables not fitting with smaller connector blocks or are less rated connectors actually not able to handle higher currents (i.e. overheat)?

What are the connector block current rating req's for 1mm, 1.5mm and 2.5mm tc+e please?

Thanks very much in advance

Sponsored Links
first question.. no.. it's not alright to use a standard light switch on a socket outlet circuit..
they are usually rated at about 5-10 amps...
you can get 20A switches as long as the load from the switch is limited to less than the rated current of the switch.. ( for example by the use of a single socket outlet where the load plugged in will be limited to 13A max by the fuse in the plug )

the "standard" size for terminal blocks doesn't exist.. they must be suitable for the design current of the circuit..

okay thanks Mr Jack I'll just use 4 FCUs then not as pretty as a 4 gang switch but much simpler thanks

Sponsored Links
Wow davelx that's an excellent idea but prob is I have some fcus knocking about but not those grid things you mentioned, first I've heard of those but thanks for telling me bout those I gotta get some of those grid things

Mr Sheds I'm building an AV network hub in the cellar and want 4 x 4 socket extensions each with a separate switch but rather than the long clumsy method of going inside the cellar (and possibly opening a cabinet door) to switch off an extension (highly variable which of the 4 extensions will be used at any one time and have heard they actually use loadsa power even on standby) want to have 4 switches outside the cellar so can turn off and on just passing by

I know about those remote wireless socket switches but want a solid reliable switching mechanism thanksa

You couldn't have used light switches anyway, even if they had been the right rating, as you'd have had no fuses.

FCUs it is then.

Good point Mr Sheds, but using that amount of sockets I definitley would have fused them in some way it just would have been more complex than fcus thanks for yo help sir

Another way is to use a small 2 way consumer unit by the door, with two B16 breakers in, controlling half the sockets each, and using the main swaitch to control the whole room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back