Joining cable in trunking

Sponsored Links
Thanks Adam 151, they look just the ticket. Is 16p a pop expensive? Gimme half-a-dozen for the hotel room.....

I expect as heatshrink splices go, 16p is not too bad, but in comparison to normal insulated crimps, then they quite expensive IMHO

I've just gone ahead and ordered a bunch (I have a scary ability to spend money, but will try to get my client to pay!). It means I have to open the trunking again and redo several connections, but I feel that this method is more acceptable.

I guess the heat shrink will go over the PVC sleeving too, so I won't need further insulation (i.e. tape). If that's the case, then it will look a lot neater as well as being stronger/tougher.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Yes, or at least thats what I belive to be the case

The other alternative would be a heatshrink free one, and select a suitable size heatshrink to slide over it... I wouldn't over heatshrink over all three conductors again in trunking though (and if it was outside of trunking, I'd use adesive lined stuff for this to provide a seal)

The heat-shrink butt crimps you suggested are designed for immersion in various fluids, so they will actually be going over the top in my installation, but better too much protection... just hope they're big enough to cover the PVC sleeving too.

It's gonna be fun, though, up on the ladder with my crimpers and heat gun - I might hire an extra pair of hands for the day: so often, just as you're about to make the crimp, one of the wires pops out - very frustrating!

Update...the heat-shrink butt crimps from Rapidonline.com are the business, the bees knees.... they make a very secure conection and look smart - no dodgy sparky tape in sight!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back